Indianapolis Attendance

I have a big question for Michael or anyone else for that matter: If a group of highly skilled musical groups appear in competition type shows all around the nation, and the shows themselves only change in a very subtle manner throughout the season as well as the order of the competition results are pretty much set early in the year, and I live in say Louisiana, then what real incentive would I have fly to Indy, spend bucket loads of my hard earned money, just a few weeks after spending bucket loads of my hard earned money in San Antonio, just to see the same musical performances and same general placements?

It's the end of the season and the best the corps are ever going to get for the season. For anyone who loves drum corps, whether or not they can afford to go to the World Championships or can get the time off, it's still something big fans would aspire to do, much like big football fans would love to be at the SuperBowl, even if they've seen both teams play earlier. The same players are throwing the footballs, the same players are catching the footballs...but they're doing it in the SuperBowl.

I would want to go to Minneapolis, San Antonio, Atlanta or Allentown to see all the top World Class corps because I love seeing drum corps, and I would want to go to the World Championships as I have every year since I aged out in order to see the corps be as good as they're going to be. If I wasn't there, I would be regretting it every second of the weekend.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the end of the season and the best the corps are ever going to get for the season. For anyone who loves drum corps, whether or not they can afford to I would want to go to Minneapolis, San Antonio, Atlanta or Allentown to see all the top World Class corps because I love seeing drum corps, and I would want to go to the World Championships as I have every year since I aged out in order to see the corps be as good as they're going to be. If I wasn't there, I would be regretting it every second of the weekend.

That is you, and maybe a select few other astute Drum Corps FanAtics; many which are formally tied to a particular corps in some fashion. God Bless each and everyone!!!! However you do not represent the vast majority of fans, the average Joes who take their families out on the town for the San Antonio show, the adult age outs who now have day jobs which keep them from traveling all over creation so they attend the closest major event in Allentown, the high school kids who ride the school bus to the show in Atlanta; those are the main stay fans in the stadiums, and those fans do not travel thousands of miles attending multiple shows all around the country. Besides, most adult people who go to shows have enough diverse interests that they do various things throughout the summer instead of religiously following a national musical tour like a bunch of groupies. (or are true DCI fans supposed to be cultic just like the Trekies?)

Edited by Stu

That is you, and maybe a select few other astute Drum Corps FanAtics; many which are formally tied to a particular corps in some fashion. God Bless each and everyone!!!! However you do not represent the vast majority of fans, the average Joes who take their families out on the town for the San Antonio show, the adult age outs who now have day jobs which keep them from traveling all over creation so they attend the closest major event in Allentown, the high school kids who ride the school bus to the show in Atlanta; those are the main stay fans in the stadiums, and those fans do not travel thousands of miles attending multiple shows all around the country. Besides, most adult people who go to shows have enough diverse interests that they do various things throughout the summer instead of religiously following a national musical tour like a bunch of groupies. (or are true DCI fans supposed to be cultic just like the Trekies?)

Disagree.

I would hardly ever call a drum corps fan and average anything.

And frankly, more and more of the drum corps audience I see is younger than I am. Many are HS musicians who get tickets as a group. The other large group is the parents and family of the members.

I would say, the loyal drum corps fan is a large portion of the crowd as well, but that's one reason there are regionals every week. Every area but the west coast has a regional now.

Notice the people that truly know, namely DCI. They won't tell you how many tickets were sold. They just keep that same old, " tickets are selling better all the time, " line. I think they actually believe it, yet they never show the numbers and improvemens on them each year. Where are the numbers?????? It can't be that hard to do. Its not like its confidential info that could doom your organization, is it? It seems that baseball, football and hockey can give you attendance numbers within the 2 hours of their show, yet we don't have numbers from 3 years ago.

DCI has evolved into one mysterious and paranoid schizophrenic organization. They're acting like attendence figures should be a closely guarded secret of national security, among other things.....

Oh brother! Who many? Hearing you and Ream is like listening to a dirge! Move the #### thing around then...bring it to California every couple years...you'll get lots of "many people"!

It can come back to Cali when you folks learn how to behave. OOPS! Did I say that out loud?

Edited by wallace

I would hardly ever call a drum corps fan and average anything.

And frankly, more and more of the drum corps audience I see is younger than I am. Many are HS musicians who get tickets as a group. The other large group is the parents and family of the members.

I would say, the loyal drum corps fan is a large portion of the crowd as well, but that's one reason there are regionals every week. Every area but the west coast has a regional now.

I think that you missed my point; these people you are referring to are the "average attendees" and most of them do not fly all around the country going to one or two Regionals (and) Indy for Finals week. If most of them did go to their closest Regional (and) Finals in Indy, Finals attendance would be well over 100,000 on Saturday! So, the logical conclusion is that most either attend the Regional closest to their home, (or) they go to Indy for Finals; they obviously do not do both.

It can come back to Cali when you folks learn how to behave. OOPS! Did I say that out loud?

You did say it out loud! And the Rose Bowl did have some block heads that booed Cadets for "hash-markgate" and mic'd voices....grossly uncool and classless. However, the mid-west (LOS) has taken it to a new art form....they're like the WWF...to include chants outside the stadium (I didn't hear it, but it is rumored to have occured). So....possible boos and 25-30K gate or a trend of boos and 15K gate. Hmmmmmm!

And that's why I specifically wrote that it is something they would "aspire to," not that it would be something they would have to do to keep their drum corps fan cards.