New arranger coming to the Crossmen!

I'm personally very sad to see this talented arranger leave the corps! I think the style and interest he brough to the Crossmen gave them a unique and exciting edge over others. :music:

Secondly, I know from experience that consistency in a design staff and administration is what makes the program strong. Change ISN'T always good...

As for let's bring back, (insert old arranger here): ____________________ . :tongue:

Really!? No. Let's try something NEW, if we're gonna make a change, and let those from the past remain past!

Crossmen, keep pushing the envelope b/c we REALLY don't want to hear Count Bubba again....or Birdland.....or......yea you get the point! :worthy:

you can always revisit the past in terms of style and attitude and approach without reusing old music....and this is what I think Crossmen needs to do, especially to rebuild the bond with alumni who have been less than satisified since, well even before the move to texas.

whoever they get, they need to discover the soul of Bones, and what makes the Crossmen the Crossmen. Do they need to redo Puma or App Morning or Cherokee or Street Dancing? No. But should they try to recapture that scrappy, grooving vibe from Crossmen yore and put a new twist on it?

hell yes they should.

I gotta say, on a personal level, I'd love to hear Chuck Naffier charts again . . .

:tongue::worthy::music:

Bringing back a previously successful, highly skilled arranger does not necessarily imply bringing back previously played tunes. In fact, exactly half the shows arranged by Guidry drew from previously used source material. Either way, that's beside the point, as we all know that the arranger does not necessarily have a say in source material selection.

Personally, I disagree strongly with your opinions in every possible way. But we're all entitled to our opinions, so I will respect yours equally.

What the Crossmen need is someone who knows how to write effectively for a drum corps hornline. Writing that is idiomatic of the individual brass instruments and of the drum corps genre in general will be an instant improvement over all recent arrangements.

--A friend

NEVER did I say that an old arranger = old arrangements being played again...

I DID say 1) no to old arrangers being brought back and 2) no to old charts being hopelessly revamped. (Which agreed Guidry tried that too, but VERY much unlike those before him!)

And as for Guidry not being able to write for a hornline? WTF. :tongue: ...umm has anyone heard Broken Arrow's hornline?? Pretty sure they'd chew up the Crossmen & spit them out. The fact of the matter is the Crossmen struggle b/c they're young and inexperienced. I don't believe that Guidry's ability to write was the error, I believe the fact that a large percentage of Crossmen kids are still learning how to move and play could be somewhat to blame?! lol :tongue:

Now, with that said let's continue on....

Edited by TexasCorpsFan

e performance may be an issue here. but you can't deny the arrangements have been lacking. just because someone writes great BOA stuff doesn't mean it translates well to drum corps

I DID say 1) no to old arrangers being brought back and 2) no to old charts being hopelessly revamped. (Which agreed Guidry tried that too, but VERY much unlike those before him!)

And as for Guidry not being able to write for a hornline? WTF. :tongue: ...umm has anyone heard Broken Arrow's hornline?? Pretty sure they'd chew up the Crossmen & spit them out. The fact of the matter is the Crossmen struggle b/c they're young and inexperienced. I don't believe that Guidry's ability to write was the error, I believe the fact that a large percentage of Crossmen kids are still learning how to move and play could be somewhat to blame?! lol :tongue:

Are you really making the argument that a high school band where 1/4 of the kids have never marched before is more experienced than the Crossmen? How many of the kids in Crossmen have never marched before? You sound like one of the people who were claiming Crossmen were going to shoot up the rankings just as soon as they could fill their ranks with BOA high school kids. Guess what? Didn't happen. Please save the BOA hype for marching band planet.

Most ridiculous thing I've heard all day.

Moving on, the general consensus here on DCP is that Guidry cannot arrange for a drum corps. He can 'write for a hornline' just fine. A marching band 'hornline', that is. The attitude throughout the corps this year was that something needed to be done about the music; vets complained, rookies complained. Of course, with such a young corps, marching and playing was an issue. Member retention and recruitment, also. Think about this, though: What if the exact same show (or Forbidden) had been performed by BD or Crown? Sure, it'd definitely be clean, but only so much progress can be made with an already flawed product.