Snare tilt

Well I for one wish tuba players would stop carrying their horns the way they do. I'm sick of their copy cat ways... irritates the heck out me.

Edited by GGarrett

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang, I thought this thread was about some pin ball machine game.

:tongue:

Well I for one wish tuba players would stop carrying their horns the way they do. I'm sick of their copy cat ways... irritates the heck out me.

And why do ALL EIGHT of the Caets' marimbas have to look EXACTLY alike?

Annoying.

I'll jump on the bandwagon. I understand the idea of tilting the snares but it really doesn't help the player at all and it looks terrible - and sloppy.

Depends on the height of the drum on the body. Left hand rim shots, for instance, are difficult on a flat drum, giving rise to a "palm up" left hand technique, which really isn't traditional grip in the textbook sense. For traditional grip to have full power, the left palm should be almost vertical when it strikes the drum and it's pretty hard to do a rim shot that way on a flat drum unless it's carried high. Wish I had a nickle for every high school player I've had to re-teach to get a good left hand sound because they think the technique is palm up.

And why do ALL EIGHT of the Caets' marimbas have to look EXACTLY alike?

Annoying.

Yeah. I hate that, too. :tongue:

:tongue:

i think the tilt looks pretty sweet.

Ok y’all. Pick any drum line, or any drum set player; pick any song, or any year. Put on the CD, Tape, or Record; turn the sound up loud and close your eyes to really listen close. Is it matched grip or traditional grip that you are hearing?

Give me a break!!! There are only two reasons for trad grip in a snare line: 1) Visual differences between the hands that look cool; and 2) It harkens back to where the rudimental snare actually came from. Therefore, why not tilt the drum to also respect that history while also allowing the drummers the ability to play the grip in a manner in which it was intended.

PS: Real Traditional Grip is what we now call Matched Grip. The grip in which the cavemen used to pound on logs :tongue:

Ahhhh.....to tilt or not to tilt.....if only Shakespeare were alive today! :tongue: