You know drum corps is dying when.............

I want everyone on here treated well, regardless of how girded your loins are. But know, your approach does rankle feathers.

I didn't know dinosaurs had feathers! And good! Also, by rankle I presume you mean... having a prevailing opinion different that the cliques on DCP.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... by rankle I presume you mean... having a prevailing opinion different that the cliques on DCP.

Or being partisan to one or another of an opposing clique. That is to say, by being aligned with one philosophy or point of view, you are by definition opposed to another. I guess that's where the feather ruffling starts. But hey, isn't lively discourse what these forums are about?

peace to all, as always - no personal disrespect intended,

Fred O.

I'm TONY Signorelli... No relation to Sam although he did follow me through the BD ranks...

I do believe the product is doomed as competetive MB has essentially taken the place of DCI for many folks... The parents have a relationship with the band director and the program and off they go. It is easy for the parents to buy in because it is the kids school, so it must be good right? Because of the newer competetive nature of HS band kids get all the competition they need unless they are a total freak like ME!!! I had a huge competitive circuit in HS band but that wasn't enough... Although if my best friend and his brother hadn't made the jump to DC, then neither would I. So it takes quite the storm of activity and all the right factors in place for a band kid to even be interested in DCI...

I have been involved with my kids HS band for 8 years now... I have had 4 children pass through the local HS band program... I was lucky enough to get one of my son's to march in the Renegades with me for ONE season but he didn't want to come back... I have been lucky enough in those 8 years to have 3 HS band kids interested in DCI to the piont that I was able to help 2 of them get good enough to march SCVC and one of them was in SCV WC last season. But that is as many as I have been able to muster in the past 8 years. I speak from experience and from the anguish of trying to help out a dying breed! :thumbup:

To a great degree I believe you are correct. Drum corps will never replace a scholastic program and the local connections. When I was in band, over 40 years ago, our high school raised money so we could go to San Antonio to march in the parade there and spend the weekend. We were not a wealthy community, but money was raised for the trip and brand new uniforms. It became a community pride thing. Drum corps had some of that, but never as much as the local high school bands if they were run right.

I didn't know dinosaurs had feathers! And good! Also, by rankle I presume you mean... having a prevailing opinion different that the cliques on DCP.

has nothing to do with your thoughts on shows. it's all in the delivery.

and if 40 is a dino, then a lot of you here a ####### old as dirt :thumbup:

IMO big problem is there are so few corps and shows left anymore. And what's the cost to attend the regionals or local shows anymore? Yes, lots of bands and members in the country but what percentage lives near where a show would be? And those that do live nearby, how many would be willing to spend the bucks on something they have never seen before.

Last sentence goes for just about anyone also. Can't bring in new people when the cost is so high they don't want to take the chance of not liking it.

I raised this point in 2005 when DCA tried the Winston Salem show. you aren't going to draw in novice fans to something they don't know for $40 a seat. So while we had maybe 3500 people in Wake Forest's stadium, across the street in the arena they had 12k for a monster truck type of show

To a great degree I believe you are correct. Drum corps will never replace a scholastic program and the local connections. When I was in band, over 40 years ago, our high school raised money so we could go to San Antonio to march in the parade there and spend the weekend. We were not a wealthy community, but money was raised for the trip and brand new uniforms. It became a community pride thing. Drum corps had some of that, but never as much as the local high school bands if they were run right.

And when I marched about 35 years ago we became a "corps style" band, with "ankle-knee" and "stride step" and horn ripples and stick snaps. We were state champs many times due to the discipline that DC instilled in us.

The ironic thing is that there's a (prevailing?) viewpoint that bands have caught up with and, in some views, replaced that which DC used to be to marching music programs. That suggests that, for whatever reasons and influences, DC didn't stay ahead of band programs in offering the pinnacle for which bands could reach. Many "show" bands, or "entertainment" bands, morphed into competing programs ala DC style. Ironically, the suggestion from some leaders is that DC should look more like marching bands because the two have become indistinguishable to the average person.

If "Zagging" when everyone else is "Zigging" has been, will be, or might be the path to avant guard leadership of the activity, what to do now to "Zag"?

Can we have a collective "Entertainment" Amen from the chorus, please?

Can anyone visualize a "Show Corps"?

Hmm...

Edited by garfield

I raised this point in 2005 when DCA tried the Winston Salem show. you aren't going to draw in novice fans to something they don't know for $40 a seat. So while we had maybe 3500 people in Wake Forest's stadium, across the street in the arena they had 12k for a monster truck type of show

Yeppers, and I'm sure the good folks at W-S KNEW what they were getting into when they went to that there monster truck shew.... Especially if Bigfoot and Gravedigger were there.... (got in-laws at Raleigh folks).

If "Zagging" when everyone else is "Zigging" has been, will be, or might be the path to avant guard leadership of the activity, what to do now to "Zag"?

evnt_zagweek_2007.gif

...I do believe the product is doomed as competetive MB has essentially taken the place of DCI for many folks...

While I personally believe drum corps will stay around well past my demise, (and I don't expect that to happen any time soon), it's interesting to note that we as an activity essentially created what marching band has become. Our instructors went forth and spread the corps-style show concepts and consequently, bands started looking a lot more like bands. The top bands went after corps instructors and members to teach their members, and it didn't take long for bands to become scholastic versions of corps. Hopefully, we haven't been too successful in doing so.

And when I marched about 35 years ago we became a "corps style" band, with "ankle-knee" and "stride step" and horn ripples and stick snaps. We were state champs many times due to the discipline that DC instilled in us.

The ironic thing is that there's a (prevailing?) viewpoint that bands have caught up with and, in some views, replaced that which DC used to be to marching music programs. That suggests that, for whatever reasons and influences, DC didn't stay ahead of band programs in offering the pinnacle for which bands could reach. Many "show" bands, or "entertainment" bands, morphed into competing programs ala DC style. Ironically, the suggestion from some leaders is that DC should look more like marching bands because the two have become indistinguishable to the average person.

Can we have a collective "Entertainment" Amen from the chorus, please?

Can anyone visualize a "Show Corps"?

Hmm...

In our local area 2 of the 3 band directors in our town came from drum corps. I am still a booster for our band and our director marched with a corps from Iowa, I think it was Knight Express? and also, his wife marched with another corps, I can't remember where right now. So, maybe it is all becoming one.

I read many people are wanting more entertaining shows. When I was in Indianapolis this summer, there was just something about some shows that made them more exciting to me. I believe the passion of the performers is this intangible something that can be felt by the crowd. So, when the kids believe in their show, when they are entertained by performing it, I think it makes a difference. I really felt a difference when Madison was on the field than I did when other corps either higher or lower than them were on the field. Sure, each show is different, but I think selling the members on their show, might be an important consideration some corps are missing.