No DCA Finals Post-Retreat/Parking Lot Run-Through

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the corps left Scranton with a bad taste in their mouth for the Moosic “brown shirts.” We do not want a repeat of that sad experience in Rochester.

This is exactly the kind of attitude by the city that will leave corps members with "a bad taste in their mouth".

If we're bothering the neighbors, maybe we should find someplace new where we are welcome.

Here's an idea... find a new place for finals!

Submit a bid! Somebody, ANYBODY. Maybe after that I won't fear for my safety when leaving the show.

Next year it's still in Ra-cha-cha but there WILL be a new venue. Someplace in MD.

That is about the stupidest statement I have EVER read on here. I mean the stupidest. Are you even in drum corps? Have you ever marched?

The members marching,,the ones that do most of the fund raising. The ones that sweat their rears off all season and deal with aches and pains. The ones that come home sunburned and have to see a doctor the next day. THOSE are the people need to be the ones in the know. Not just a handful of corps directors that may or may not choose not to tell the membership because they have bigger things on their plates.

DCA business IS the corps members business.

I have a little experience in the activity, maybe not as much as you do though.

Solution....After the 2 winners do their encores, have all corps enter the field as they were for retreat and let them all do their lot runs at once...just gotta make room for pit. :thumbup:

Irony....I was just thinking of that!

I guess it would be be best if we go back to the brown shirts next year. :thumbup:

Edited by HurcsGuyGD.

And YOU are basically telling many of US, who have traditionally been doing parking lot park and blows for years and consider it an indispensable tradition to #### off......classy......very elitist.

So if it's an "indispensable tradition" that I crank my stereo full blast until 2-3 in the morning and disturb the folks in adjoining apartments while they're trying to sleep, that's OK?

So long as you (and others) continue to ignore the FACT that DCA is NOT the only event the locals have to deal with, you're missing the point by several miles. Drum Corps is not the only game in town.

After show encores used to be traditional in DCI as well....and they were stopped (or cut back) for the EXACT SAME REASON....the locals were being disturbed very late at night.

The only difference here is DCA is a much larger event than a mid-season show at a high school.

I guess it would be be best if we go back to the brown shirts next year.

No....the only way I see out of this is, as others have suggested, finding another venue where it's not an issue...something that's typically been difficult to do, as I recall. If DCA could afford a college stadium in the middle of the campus or an NFL one....but that's not even remotely feasible (I could see it happening at Stanford, tho....plenty of lot room there....transportation for east corps across the country aside).

You COULD reschedule finals day, but that would mean cutting some performances in order to start finals earlier...and I don't think anyone wants to cut the alum corps out of the day.

I have a little experience in the activity, maybe not as much as you do though.

Then you understand the passion these people have for drum corps and equally important drum corps tradition.

The smart money is on letting this information out to the people its going to effect. Had this information not breached the cone of silence I could see how a bad situation could have turned much worse had this been sprung at the last moment.

Glad to see a few good posters who still care about this activity coming forward with it.