No DCA Finals Post-Retreat/Parking Lot Run-Through

Go back to pre-2000 (Paetec construction).

People living in the Browns Square neighborhood are told the stadium will bring "economic development" (a phrase used by politicians to lie about how the neighbors will BENEFIT, when in reality failed loans and missed payments will make it an economic BURDEN).

Neighbors are reminded that it's a soccer stadium with nice quiet activity (except for those annoying future DCI Bb vuvuzela horns).

If the folks built their house next to a stadium, they asked for the noise. This was NOT the case......the stadium was thrust upon them to "improve" their life. They were G-7'd. Now the pols have to give them something by enforcing noise ordinances. No offense, but drum corps IS noise.

Back in 2004, as a supervisor at my school, I was able to convince the administration of the Passaic County Tech HS that I would be at the Garden State Circuit show to make sure the facility was left in clean condition after the show. When I went to the refreshment stand after the show, it was spotless...... when I visited each corps' practice area, all garbage was in cans or stacked neatly in boxes. When I drove the truck to the front practice field where Bush practiced all day, the only evidence that anyone had been there was neatly stacked boxes of water bottles and three filled garbage cans. I am not surprised that the Bushwackers openly proclaim their intent to comply with the Rochester community directive.

The result of the Garden State Circuit and Bushwacker visit to PCT made it ultimately more likely for the school to approve the use of the field for The Grand Prix for the last two years and as practice site for Kidsgrove this week.

Being a good visitor keeps the welcome mat out and extends it to others.

When I think of the kids of the Garden State Circuit and the Bush staff, I think CLASS......

Are there THAT many communities welcoming drum corps with open arms?

Joe in NJ

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,,I am clearly talking about playing these concerts within the rules set forth by the city of Rochester. Why would anyone need to be bailed out if they play by the rules? Who's blaming anyone?

Again I am not talking about running past any allotment time or arguing with the PD. What I am talking about is finding a solution to making the parkinglot concerts possible within the law and with the good gracious of DCA and the city of Rochester.

there's only so much time in the day to make this happen. if you start the alumni earlier, you may also #### off the neighborhood.

I say it is what it is, 10 days away, and you deal with it as it is for this year. Or push and push and push and #### people off and then DCA may have no home next year...because DCA can't afford a lawsuit, and the last time a promoter sued a show host, we saw how that turned out. effective 4/9/11, that promoter is done promoting anything with drum corps.

For the record: DCA '96 holds the record...just above the DCA's at Holleder Stadium...all in Rochester. So you already have the home of "record crowds and recognition."

When DCI went to the real Mickey Mouse city of Orlando, they got the smallest crowds in years. Buffalo 90 and 95, however, were near the record in Montreal. So "we went to Buffalo" or "we went to Rochester" seems to work ok.

I remember "going to Scranton" and "going to Allentown" and "going to Bridgeport and Bayonne and Jersey City". I guess I was more worried about my friends and our performance than some strangers' opinion of where i went to compete :)

hate to tell you, but Buffalo numbers were not close to Montreal numbers in any of the years there.

there's only so much time in the day to make this happen. if you start the alumni earlier, you may also #### off the neighborhood.

Not to mention the Alumni, fans included. :thumbup:

As for the neighbors, DCA is a guest in their house. When we have guests in our house, I would think we would expect the guests to honor our wishes, even if they bring, or give, something to the table. (Not seeing Fran's comments earlier, See his for more details.) :hmmm:

Edited by Mellofello01

ithin reasonable limits I agree. midnight to me is not reasonable.

and looking at the neighbor, i'm not sure beyond those that open up their yard for parking is getting fed from the hands

I am not going to speak on this matter in regards to any particular corps' situation or what-have-you, but the basis of the no post-retreat concert because of complaining residents is nothing new. Say hello to the wonderful world of NIMBY's.

In the metropolitan area I grew up in, there were tons of abandoned railroad tracks. Most were last used in the early 1990s. Then the farmers who owned the adjacent land sold it to developers who built housing developments along the abandoned tracks. Then a railroad comes in and wants to start service on these unused tracks, and then the people whose mansions are located within a stone's throw of the abandoned tracks file injunctions and all sorts of court proceedings and sue the railroad saying they are not allowed to run service for X Y and Z reasons. To this day I have yet to see a judge side with the railroad to reopen an abandoned track. People didn't want the trains there since they weren't there when they moved into their McMansions. However, the railroad property has been owned by railroads for 100+ years. Does it seem right? Not to me. I would absolutely side with the railroad.

Whenever issues of NIMBY status like the Rochester situation come up, I'm always reminded of the 11th commandment: Mind you own business. You buy a house next to a stadium, you need to expect sound, traffic, and other things that may be unpleasing. If you don't like noise or traffic... Don't move next to a stadium. I don't feel sorry for these people one bit. They should have to deal with their "issue" just as much as I deal with rush hour traffic or a long line at the checkout: you grin and bear it because you know it will be over soon. If I moved next to a coal burning power plant, and one day the wind shifts and my house is engulfed in offensive odors and smoke, am I supposed to sue the power plant and tell them they can't produce electricity that I am using when I am downwind of their facility? It's completely absurd.

To me, it sounds like they are biting the hand that feeds.

Anyone who thinks this is only an "eleven minute" problem is crazy. From the second the first corps leaves the stadium until the last corps is done with their mud run is probably nothing less than an hour. Yea, I think the are cool too, but necessary? No way. Heck, if I could, I'd pass a rule that no corps can play a note until the two champions are finished. Each and every year we have lot concerts disrupting the two champions, and that's incredibly disrespectful.

I agree 100% and as a result, I haven't stayed for victory runs for a few years now.

Whenever issues of NIMBY status like the Rochester situation come up, I'm always reminded of the 11th commandment: Mind you own business. You buy a house next to a stadium, you need to expect sound, traffic, and other things that may be unpleasing. If you don't like noise or traffic... Don't move next to a stadium. I don't feel sorry for these people one bit. They should have to deal with their "issue" just as much as I deal with rush hour traffic or a long line at the checkout: you grin and bear it because you know it will be over soon. If I moved next to a coal burning power plant, and one day the wind shifts and my house is engulfed in offensive odors and smoke, am I supposed to sue the power plant and tell them they can't produce electricity that I am using when I am downwind of their facility? It's completely absurd.

To me, it sounds like they are biting the hand that feeds.

ASSuming these people moved in AFTER the stadium was built. Comparing Rush Hour traffic to 120+ musicians playing late at night is like comparing Apples to nail polish.

Really, Sam? You're going to compare this ridiculous notion you just pulled out of a hat with the tradition of corps doing one last run after finals?

I swear to God Sam you have a knack for coming up with the dumbest ideas in human history.

his dumb id ea is actually quite sound and logical.

I think we can all agree on one thing:

When/if discussions commence on moving DCA to another host town (which will of COURSE happen when potential host cities "submit a bid" <$1 to Jeff Ream> ), it wouldn't hurt for this issue to be a LINE ITEM (NOT the main point, just a periphal issue that merits discussion) to see what if anything can be done by potential host cities to allow for this tradition that is cherished by many.

Until then, if the situation in Rochester being what it is does not change, we are all going to just have to suck it up and comply. I for one DO NOT like it at all, but I won't be the horse's ### that ruins it for everyone. Having said that, if I found out FINALS NIGHT and not yesterday that this was an issue, there is a chance my big mouth might have gotten me or someone else in trouble and so I'm glad this information is being disseminated ahead of time.

Also, if we flagrantly disregard Rochester's city policies for something like this and word gets out, THERE MAY NOT BE MANY MORE INTERESTED HOST CITIES. Keep in mind that city officials are NOT going to understand the traditional aspects of the parking lot runs and will just see a bunch of idiots wanting to make noise and keep people up. Remember, bad news spreads farther and faster than good news.

I do take issue with those who think this isn't even an issue at all, and we should just suck it up. But I do agree we should not break the law.

Edited by ContraRich77

After the fact parking lot run throughs are over rated...everybody is trying to play stuff they cant hit and the staff took out months ago, the disgusting over playing knowing there is no judges there, no consideration to dynamics etc....LOL

And whoever said they are lucky the neighbors didnt shoot first is correct. That is not the neighborhood to take on the locals.

Leave it in the hands of Allen Buell and his team, griping on here does nothing... if it is going to handled, the team of Allen, Tom P. et al. are the people that can get it done.

DA

I thought about saying this last night...lot runs are full of exactly what you talked about. it's begging for people to make their ego bigger