Crossmen 1990 vs. Blue Devils 2010

Poll  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which show did you enjoy more live?

• Crossmen 1990
    • Blue Devils 2010

Heck, give me BD 1990 over BD 2010. I always loved the Tommy show.

I just listened to BD '10 again to try and get "perspective." Holy yuck. That wasn't a drum corps show. It was an eleven minute sound check.

In-N-Out Burger vs. Blue Devils 2010

Mike

"Those are some good burgers Walter!"

Edited by madalumni

Wait, do you also have the recording of us singing the show under the bleachers in the rain? I don't know anyone that has that but it is one of those days that one never forgets...

Sorry to say no singing on my recording. It's the whole performance....then the sky's just opened up.. You guys probably sought refuge under the bleachers.....while we walked pretty dang fast in a driving downpour to the car.

I think what I love most about this that has largely disappeared today is the fact that the corps played the WHOLE TUNE. You could follow a melody line, most from a brass perspective and the drum book. The average joe listener who knows nothing about drum corps could watch that group and possibly walk away humming their whole show. You cant do that with groups today. This show was way fan friendly.

If attendance is down or interest in drum corps is down, matbe it can be attribtuted to the fact that it doesnt cater to the average person walking in to see a show. I believe that stands are probably filled with parents, friends, old enthusiasts and former members.

Bring back drum corps who play entire pieces of music. The opperative word is MUSIC.

Ranting...Must be getting old

No, it was Montclair. Train tracks next to the stadium. It was also the first time I ever considered not picking up a piece of equipment due to lightning.

Emmaus was the singing under the bleachers...sadly no recording

You missed the best part then! Not that I blame you though!

Sorry to say no singing on my recording. It's the whole performance....then the sky's just opened up.. You guys probably sought refuge under the bleachers.....while we walked pretty dang fast in a driving downpour to the car.

I think what I love most about this that has largely disappeared today is the fact that the corps played the WHOLE TUNE. You could follow a melody line, most from a brass perspective and the drum book. The average joe listener who knows nothing about drum corps could watch that group and possibly walk away humming their whole show. You cant do that with groups today. This show was way fan friendly.

If attendance is down or interest in drum corps is down, matbe it can be attribtuted to the fact that it doesnt cater to the average person walking in to see a show. I believe that stands are probably filled with parents, friends, old enthusiasts and former members.

Bring back drum corps who play entire pieces of music. The opperative word is MUSIC.

This post captures it for me. I have said this before, about a year ago, that the activity has become more about what the staff can do with a piece of music and the subsequent visual aspect of the interpreted piece, and less about an entire piece of music and less about the performers IMHO. I know I will leave a lot open on this post because I just don't have enough time to give it my all, but why did the activity as a whole (not everyone of course) think it was necessary to chop up 10 pieces and fuse them together in a way "nearly" no one can understand, to evolve the activity?

Pick some challenging, entertaining music, put a solid visual package together that when performed well allows the "show" to tell a story (not some microphone), and go out and perfect it.

I know - I am old.....

ah ok. I know you sang at Emmaus too. the cool thing tho was Westshore warmed up with your drumline the next day at the parade from hell in Nazareth

No, it was Montclair. Train tracks next to the stadium. It was also the first time I ever considered not picking up a piece of equipment due to lightning.

well said by a guy who knows how to get a unit to make music