Show order for Alumni Spec.?

St. Kevin's is NOT no longer............................................

They just couldn't get enough people to be able to make the trip

No, I'm not a member................

Need to clarify.............................................

SKEK has plenty of people, it's just that many

of them had a problem making it that weekend.

Sorry for any confusion..................

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All ,

We , St. Kevins , have a very healthy Corps. Seems that after the commitment to attend The DCA Alumni show was made some things changed. A few members of the drum line are attending a family wedding & quite a few other members of the Corps did not want to spend that much money to play at a show. so having a 44 man horn line & going to Rochester with 20 really didn't sit well with the Board of Directors. We played at Gillette Stadium, home of the N.E. Patriots, last week & are playing in Boston tomorrow. Kevins is very healthy & we will see you all at the big Plymouth show in Nov. Best wishes to all & thanks for your concern .

Mike D.

St. Kevins

Hi All ,

We , St. Kevins , have a very healthy Corps. Seems that after the commitment to attend The DCA Alumni show was made some things changed. A few members of the drum line are attending a family wedding & quite a few other members of the Corps did not want to spend that much money to play at a show. so having a 44 man horn line & going to Rochester with 20 really didn't sit well with the Board of Directors. We played at Gillette Stadium, home of the N.E. Patriots, last week & are playing in Boston tomorrow. Kevins is very healthy & we will see you all at the big Plymouth show in Nov. Best wishes to all & thanks for your concern .

Mike D.

St. Kevins

not being a smart @ss but when I got my tickets the show had nine corps.

Hi All ,

Mike D.

St. Kevins

"Didn't want to spend that much money to play at a show?????"

Perhaps you should bring to their attention Scout House, Les Diplomates, Park City, and a host of other corps - not to mention the individuals who travel long distances to appear with their corps. One corps, for example, has members from fourteen states and two Canadian provinces who've all made commitments to "be there" - and they will. And among those fourteen states are Texas, Illinois, Georgia, Maryland, Ohio, Florida, Georgia.....

As far as an alumni show is concerned - this is it!! It seems that your members' decisions would be akin to the Patriots not wanting to go to the Superbowl because it's too far. Or the Red Sox not wanting to bother with the World Series because it's too expensive. It just doesn't wash!

"Didn't want to spend that much money to play at a show?????"

Perhaps you should bring to their attention Scout House, Les Diplomates, Park City, and a host of other corps - not to mention the individuals who travel long distances to appear with their corps. One corps, for example, has members from fourteen states and two Canadian provinces who've all made commitments to "be there" - and they will. And among those fourteen states are Texas, Illinois, Georgia, Maryland, Ohio, Florida, Georgia.....

As far as an alumni show is concerned - this is it!! It seems that your members' decisions would be akin to the Patriots not wanting to go to the Superbowl because it's too far. Or the Red Sox not wanting to bother with the World Series because it's too expensive. It just doesn't wash!

Sorry, Andyroo, but your analogies don't work here. Pats and Sox get PAID to go and the team picks up all expenses.

But aside from that I agree with you. Some corps hire a bus or two with members paying to ride the bus. Many drive their own vehicle or car pool so that they have some flexibility in getting around town. They stay 4 to a room (officially), bring their own coolers and some food to keep expenses under control.

Sorry, Andyroo, but your analogies don't work here. Pats and Sox get PAID to go and the team picks up all expenses.

But aside from that I agree with you. Some corps hire a bus or two with members paying to ride the bus. Many drive their own vehicle or car pool so that they have some flexibility in getting around town. They stay 4 to a room (officially), bring their own coolers and some food to keep expenses under control.

You're right, G, the analogy wasn't a good one. But when a corps lobbies to get into the "World Series" of alumni corps, and then backs out for lack of commitment on the part of its membership, I see that as a problem.

It's not as though the members have to spend the entire three days in Rochester. Arrive Saturday night, stay four (officially) to a room for one night in the cheapest motel in New York, bring coolers of food, perform, and "get out of Dodge" by two o'clock Sunday afternoon. I don't see that as an overwhelming commitment.

And there probably would have been other alumni corps who'd want to participate - if they had enough notice to put the trip together. I don't imagine that the Manchester Muchachos would have to have been asked twice, or the Hanover Lancers, or a few others - had they been given sufficient notice.

And before anybody comes back with, "What are you so pi**ed off about?" I'm not. I'm disappointed. I happen to think that alumni corps members are a different breed from those in competing corps. We're not chasing rings; we're doing it because we enjoy it. But doing it requires a level of commitment.

Everyone in all-age & alumni drum corps circles knows the date of DCA always Labor Day weekend alumni always Sun morning at ten. The Alumni corps petition to get to this show, I believe - It is disappointing - many alumni corps would have loved to be there - too bad decision to not come was made too late to get others in.

Speaking of which:

Does anyone have the order for LAST Year's Alumni Spectacular?

I'm think of broadcasting it next Sunday for those of us who can't make it to Rochester...

Thanks,

LAST YEAR'S ORDER - as requested by Diceman.

DCA Alumni Spectacular - Order of Appearance

Posted on DCA.org:

Sunday morning September 6, Rochester will again host 9 of the finest Alumni Corps for the DCA Alumni Spectacular. The show will begin promptly at 10:00AM and feature in order of appearance:

1. Mighty St. Joe's - LeRoy, NY

2. Les Diplomates - Quebec City, Quebec, Canada

3. Skyliners Alumni - New York, NY

4. Scout House Alumni - Preston, Ontario, Canada

5. Crusaders Sr. Corps - Boston, MA

6. Optimists - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

7. Bridgemen Alumni - Bayonne, NJ

8. Park City Pride - Bridgeport, CT

9. Caballeros Alumni - Hawthorne, NJ

Everyone in all-age & alumni drum corps circles knows the date of DCA always Labor Day weekend alumni always Sun morning at ten. The Alumni corps petition to get to this show, I believe - It is disappointing - many alumni corps would have loved to be there - too bad decision to not come was made too late to get others in.

Very true. To the unknowing, concerning this venue, you must petition to perform and THEN it is by invitation. The Erie Thunderbirds 2006 "ERNESTO" show was in observance of our 50th anniversary which helped immensly in the selection process.

O.K. So we're down to 8...........I'm still goin'. Just sayin...........

You're right, G, the analogy wasn't a good one. But when a corps lobbies to get into the "World Series" of alumni corps, and then backs out for lack of commitment on the part of its membership, I see that as a problem.

It's not as though the members have to spend the entire three days in Rochester. Arrive Saturday night, stay four (officially) to a room for one night in the cheapest motel in New York, bring coolers of food, perform, and "get out of Dodge" by two o'clock Sunday afternoon. I don't see that as an overwhelming commitment.

And there probably would have been other alumni corps who'd want to participate - if they had enough notice to put the trip together. I don't imagine that the Manchester Muchachos would have to have been asked twice, or the Hanover Lancers, or a few others - had they been given sufficient notice.

And before anybody comes back with, "What are you so pi**ed off about?" I'm not. I'm disappointed. I happen to think that alumni corps members are a different breed from those in competing corps. We're not chasing rings; we're doing it because we enjoy it. But doing it requires a level of commitment.

Disappointing yes ... unprecidented ... no ... Baltimore pulled out in 2007 for the same reason I believe ... I would imagine that adding a corps at a late date is nearly impossibe due to the hotel situation ... I doubt that enough rooms would be available ...

Andy "not the Roo" Lisko