Kidsgrove Scouts got hosed!

first demerit to Joe DZ for mentioning the name EARL

don't worry ... if it stays in the atlantic, Rochester will be ok...

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first demerit to Joe DZ for mentioning the name EARL

don't worry ... if it stays in the atlantic, Rochester will be ok...

mea culpa, Tom......but I LOVE wet judges...... :thumbup:

And don't forget YOUR finest performance at the '66 Dream.........

Joe

Reading the sheets- Strong individual marching technique, comprable to everyone else at the contest. Visual package was found lacking. Bush DOES have a nice drill you know....

JG doesn't miss a trick on the field with percussion. Good man. If they didn't have what it took, there's your spread. Obviously a lot of persussion dirt that was found on field level, not at spectator level. On-field perceptions are utterly different than what one hears in the stands. Quite possible for both Field and Ensemble perc judges to have split like this. Again- percussion is a black art for may of us that aren't doing it. The corps can certainly be exciting and presentable for the crowd, but dirty as heck to the percussionists and unacceptable to them.

Brass Judges did lay a gap, just not a heavy one over Bush. It is a pretty decent gap, just not a huge one. the Hurcs and Cabs both have pretty tidy hornlines. I wasn't there, but again, one judge is on-field, and a lot of the things that cause separation aren't readily noticeable, they have to be dug for.

The Effect numbers are rather interesting- they seem to contradict the message sent by the performance judges. Weak technical drill but effective, and a solid brass section but not effective. There's where if I were a staff member, I'd be really concerned and asking a lot of hard questions and trying to get answers.

They have a week to work really hard on this, really clean percussion up, maybe make some changes to get Effect in synch. There's no reason the corps couldn't get a really solid vertical bounce in several captions. A three to five point bounce overall would be a conservative expectation and goal for them given the disparities in numbers and the rehearsal time I'm sure they have worked into this week.

As the cover on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reads in friendly large letters...

DON'T PANIC ...............................

They'll be fine next week, folks. They'll likely end up where they should end up. The worst thing that corps and staff could do is panic like some of you folks have. They just need to show some character, dig in, and get things together from the looks of it.

mea culpa, Tom......but I LOVE wet judges...... :thumbup:

And don't forget YOUR finest performance at the '66 Dream.........

Joe

that was '65 dream... could have done without the tornado's on the field - the lightning hitting the roof of the stadium was NOT cool... fortunately we are much smarter now... that would never happen... lightning that close would stop the show much faster than it did back then... but it's a heck of a memory.

that was '65 dream... could have done without the tornado's on the field - the lightning hitting the roof of the stadium was NOT cool... fortunately we are much smarter now... that would never happen... lightning that close would stop the show much faster than it did back then... but it's a heck of a memory.

Heck, some places, like Jamestown, have lightening sirens when there are strikes nearby. One went off during retreat during the Bugler's Holiday competition at the end of July, resulting in the stands clearing (calm and collected, of course) and cancelling the victory concert for Empire Statesmen.

Of course, after the downpour and tornado madness only a couple hours before the show, we were lucky to even HAVE a competition that night!

Heck, some places, like Jamestown, have lightening sirens when there are strikes nearby. One went off during retreat during the Bugler's Holiday competition at the end of July, resulting in the stands clearing (calm and collected, of course) and cancelling the victory concert for Empire Statesmen.

Of course, after the downpour and tornado madness only a couple hours before the show, we were lucky to even HAVE a competition that night!

Where we rehearse, they have a lightning warning system. It has held up rehearsals but the corps has a healthy respect for what lightning can do. Personally, I'm in total agreement. In my profession, I've seen the after effects of lightning strikes enough times to respect it.

The '65 Dream was interesting. In '66 Cru did a show in, I think it was Binghampton. About half way thru our performance, lightning hit one of the lights and knocked them all out. We finished in the dark.

Tom,

Perhaps you remember that after the storm passed, Reilly went on....they had a little dance thing during "Fascinatin' Rhythm" where their dancer went down because of a slippery patch. Also later in the show, Les Dips did an entire corps block pivot....first time I ever saw that... to "Sunny Side of the Street."

I confused it with '66 Dream...one of the best.... Casper Troopers came out east and BS prevailed. The Dream Contest brought out the best in everyone. Audubon always performed a notch higher at Roosevelt...... so did SKEK.

Joe

Edited by JoeDz