• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....OR....

maybe it's a metric thinggy ??????

Joe

Frank hits the nail on the head!

What's this crap about "first read?" Come on it's a competition that should be judged that day and that contest and NOT what was seen the week before! If I am judging a kid for an audition and I have never heard him before but I have heard the other kid, I am going to judge each kid as the first time.

Most of the judges have already seen all the other corps......the judges should comepare the nights performance, and score accordingly......first read BS doesn't cut it for me this late in the season. The question should have been, did the judges have the guts to give them the number they deserved?

I had Kidsgrove POINTS ahead of Bush, and could have easily taken Cabs or Hurcs.....

Frank hits the nail on the head!

What's this crap about "first read?" Come on it's a competition that should be judged that day and that contest and NOT what was seen the week before! If I am judging a kid for an audition and I have never heard him before but I have heard the other kid, I am going to judge each kid as the first time.

If drum corps scoring gets any closer to gymnastics and figure skating, I'm outta here.

Without seeing a recap...it is difficult to believe that every judge was that far off to create a ten point gap from the top corps to Kidsgrove. That just doesnt seem possible, if they were that good.

Donny

I'm with you, Donny. I was there and watched Kidsgrove from the end zone. Didn't stay to see the other corps. I did see things that can be improved with KS, but want to reserve my detail comments until I can see a recap.

UPDATE:

I looked at the recap and I agree with it save one exception. Music Effect. I thought they would be higher.

For the most part, the brass was solid. Percussion needs work. I couldn't hear much of the front ensemble, but battery was shaky in spots. In the visual caption, THESE GUYS MOVE! It may be hurting the execution, not just on the feet but in the music as well. Guard seemed to be a bit subdued.

All that being said, this corps is a welcome addition to the end of season festivities. They "get" the DCA performance model - entertain. I'm glad they're here and expect them to make waves in Rochester.

Edited by G-horns

"Cab's Always Dropped at Finals":

Hold all calls!!!! :thumbup: Ladies and Gentlemen: WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Elphaba

Yep...I never thought I would live to see the day when folks say, "the judges have it out for Hawthorne"....

I wasn't there to see them, but so glad to hear that they're awesome...can't wait to see them next week!!

It kind of reminds me of the late 80's/early 90's of what would happen with Minnesota Brass...they never really traveled east during the season to get a read from the judges, and come finals time, no matter how great they were, would always undeservedly find themselves in the lower half of finals.

I just wish the judges would put down the numbers as they actually see it, and not just put down any old number...god forbid any of the 'big boys' get beat by a newbie!!

So......what I gather is:

1) we keep them in this order because that's where they've been all year....

or

2) we can't put them higher because we don't have a "read" on what they're doing....

Sunds like figure skating.

Why not hold DCA and DCI Championships on Memorial Day and then have the rest of the season unjudged exhibition shows? Think of the money saved and the bickering subdued (oh, wait...we LIKE bickering).

As much as the judging has been improved since the days of ticks, nobody agrees with scores anyway.

Go Cabs ! Go Kidgsrove ! Go Hurricanes...........but NOT Hurricane "My Name is Earl !"

Joe

I wasn't there to see them, but so glad to hear that they're awesome...can't wait to see them next week!!

It kind of reminds me of the late 80's/early 90's of what would happen with Minnesota Brass...they never really traveled east during the season to get a read from the judges, and come finals time, no matter how great they were, would always undeservedly find themselves in the lower half of finals.

I just wish the judges would put down the numbers as they actually see it, and not just put down any old number...god forbid any of the 'big boys' get beat by a newbie!!

If the crowd can get it right on it's "First Read", why can't the judges?

Field visual alone they were in their own league. The problem with DCA is that the DCI/ex-DCI members make the vets look bad. Not so with KS. Those guys marched their butts off (and ran a bit as well!). And musically, wow! what a great sound.

Whats good about all this is the drama next week in Rochester.

Good luck Hurcs and good luck KS.