Show ideas you'd want to see next year

Concepts, repertoire suggestions, etc...

Blue Devils - Ellington's Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue (musical concept of dynamics rather than a visual concept driving the show)

Blue Knights - Percy Grainger (a litte quirky, but still lots of melody...)

Bluecoats - The Matrix (they'd have to play Spybreak, and the theme would fit their electronics-heavy style from '10)

Boston Crusaders - EPIC! (Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, similar type stuff)

Carolina Crown - no idea of the theme, but it would include Strauss' Vienna Philharmonic Fanfare and Bach's Sheep May Safely Graze - bombastic and delicate

Crossmen - Groovin' Hard (Buddy Rich jazz)

Madison Scouts - Undiscovered Ellis (Great Divide opener, Go Back Home closer, something else by Ellis not Strawberry Soup or Niner Two in the middle)

Mandarins - Zen: The Art of Simiplicity

Pioneer - John Rutter (ballad of Distant Land, which was written in honor or Nelson Mandela...fits the corps' South African connection)

Santa Clara Vanguard - Smetana (Bartered Bride, Ma Vlast, Richard III, Wallenstein's Camp...if they also wanted to be crazy and modern they could throw in Husa's Smetana Fanfare, which is based on part of Wallenstein's Camp)

Spirit - Porgy and Bess

Troopers - Hatfields and McCoys

having a harder time with the others...

Totally! Plus "The World Beloved - A Bluegrass Mass". A nod to the Irish influence in American music yet not banging us over the head.

Edited by warsawstory

Concepts, repertoire suggestions, etc...

I almost did this myself but I never finished the post.

Blue Devils - Ellington's Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue (musical concept of dynamics rather than a visual concept driving the show)

Blue Knights - Percy Grainger (a litte quirky, but still lots of melody...)

Sweet! I had Devils pegged for an Ellington show, and Grainger was in there. I think I stuck him down on Pioneer, but I'd love to see BK take him on.

Bluecoats - The Matrix (they'd have to play Spybreak, and the theme would fit their electronics-heavy style from '10)

Boston Crusaders - EPIC! (Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, similar type stuff)

Carolina Crown - no idea of the theme, but it would include Strauss' Vienna Philharmonic Fanfare and Bach's Sheep May Safely Graze - bombastic and delicate

Madison Scouts - Undiscovered Ellis (Great Divide opener, Go Back Home closer, something else by Ellis not Strawberry Soup or Niner Two in the middle)

Mandarins - Zen: The Art of Simiplicity

Cavaliers - 1984 (based on the George Orwell dystopia)

All awesome. How about additionally:

The Cadets - Les Miserables

Glassmen - Pastoral (Beethoven's Sixth)

SCV - Milhaud (Le bœuf sur le toit, La création du monde)

Or Crown would be ideal for a show built on one or more Mozart operas. Figaro, Don Giovanni, Magic Flute.

And I'm 110% on board with the idea of Phantom doing Sinfonietta.

Edited by skywhopper

Crown should revisit the Finis idea but bigger. Mash up the past 40 years of DCI into 13 minutes of total insanity. Copy music, drill, props, anything and everything. Take those amazing blended arrangements of Claire de Lune/One Hand One Heart and Somewhere/Somewhere Over the Rainbow and take it up times 10. Rocky Point Holiday, Malaguena, Channel One Suite, Appalachian Spring, Phantom of the Opera, Thunder and Blazes, When a Man Loves a Woman, Sabre Dance, Firebird, The Planets, Trittico, First Circle, American in Paris, Russian Christmas Music. Call it "A Drum Corps Fan's Nightmare".

Could you imagine the #####ing fromt the folks who had issues with BD's "chopped up" arrangements??

It would end up more as a "Name That Tune" show since no more than 3 notes from each song could be arranged in under 11:30.

Two or three corps should do musical-based shows--other than West Side Story that is. There've been rumors of Crown resurrecting The Music Man. Les Mis would be a crowd-pleaser. South Pacific, Bye Bye Birdie, Annie, Grease, Chicago all have great tunes.

I've said it for years, and I'll keep saying it 'til it happens...I want to see "The Will Rogers Follies" on the field.

Would love to see what Cadets could do with it, especially with the Tommy Tune Choreography on 'Hooray for our Favorite Son'. Uniform wise and stylistically, The Troopers would also be a perfect fit. Give the soundtrack a listen.

The Intro is AWESOME!

Willamania

Hooray for our Favorite Son (Tambourines!!)

No Man Left for Me (Awesome bluesy torch ballad)

just to name a few.

Please!! Tony L, you still out there? Help me man.

Michael Giacchino's music from Lost. I'm actually considering writing a high school show with this music- Too awesome. But really, all of his music is awesome- I'd love to see someone do it.

I'm also a huge fan of original music. Seems like it usually only happens in open class but every now and then a world class corps does it like Blue Stars 2009 and I think Cavies 2008? Anyway, I'd love to see some original music out there too

A Non G7 corps could do:

Hoppy & Gibbs: Connected at the hip.

Side 1 is a Cadets style show, with doors, props and Jeffrey.

Side 2 is a BD style show w/mirrors and chairs.

2 DMs in 1 uniform - like the "Original Siamese Twins from the 1800's"; one conducting each side.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

I'm also a huge fan of original music. Seems like it usually only happens in open class but every now and then a world class corps does it like Blue Stars 2009 and I think Cavies 2008? Anyway, I'd love to see some original music out there too.

That reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask: is there a list of compositions written originally for drum corps?

Using corpsreps to assist, I come up with the following, alphabetized by corps:

Blue Devils B 2009 -- "Original Music" by John Meehan and John Mapes

Blue Devils C 2010 -- "Original Music" by John Meehan

Blue Stars 2009 -- The Factory by Frank Sullivan

Boston Crusaders 2001 -- "Original Music" by Marty McCartt and Rich Viano

Carolina Crown 2001 -- "Original Music" by Marty McCartt

Cavaliers 1989 -- "Images Diabolique" by Tom Grant

Cavaliers 2000 -- "Currents" and "Waves" by Richard Saucedo, Bret Kuhn, and Erik Johnson

Cavaliers 2001 -- Four Corners by Richard Saucedo

Cavaliers 2002 -- Frameworks by Richard Saucedo, Bret Kuhn, and Erik Johnson

Cavaliers 2003 -- Spin Cycle by Richard Saucedo

Cavaliers 2006 -- Machine by Richard Saucedo and Jim Casella

Cavaliers 2008 -- Samurai by Richard Saucedo, Jim Casella, and Erik Johnson

Gold 2009 -- Entomology by Travis Larson

Les Senateurs 2001 -- Adventure in Jazz by Jean Dufour and Jean-Yves Cardin

Memphis Sound 2004 -- Elements of Blue by Terry Jolley

Mystikal 2006 -- "Original Music" by John Meehan and Bill Garcia

Oregon Crusaders 2005 -- "Original Music" by Lewis Norfleet

Senators 2001 -- "Original Music" by Tom Gardiner

Spokane Thunder 2008 -- Antithesis by Nick Golding and Jeffrey Willis

Spokane Thunder 2010 -- The Resurrection by Nick Golding

Suncoast Sound 1985 -- Florida Suite by Robert W. Smith

Suncoast Sound 1988 -- Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child by R.W. Smith

Suncoast Sound 1989 -- Florida Suite by Robert W. Smith

Which of these is incorrect? What's missing?

Are the pieces simply described as "Original Music" mostly filler?

Edited to add Spokane Thunder

Edited to note specific pieces for 2000 Cavaliers

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Could you imagine the #####ing fromt the folks who had issues with BD's "chopped up" arrangements??

It would end up more as a "Name That Tune" show since no more than 3 notes from each song could be arranged in under 11:30.

:worthy: I will confess that I often wish Finis had been more like that. The mashup ballads of 08 and 09 were incredible and 2008's finale is close, but they stick to 1812 a little too long. :devil: