DCW article regarding touring . . .

yet he runs a band circuit, and all of his major initiatives this fall are dealing with the fact that bands are seeing their budgets cut.

he can see it for them, but not for himself

I'm sure if you were running a corps as long as he has, you would think differently. It's hard to lose money for over 20 years and not get sick of the same thing over and over again.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you see something inefficient going on in your industry, you do what you can to try to change things, not give up.

but when the changes you push for keep making it worse, at what point do you say "oops, maybe i ####ed up?"

I agree. As a fan, if that's all you're going to be, you don't feel compelled or even interested in things such as the business side of drum corps.

And, if that's the case, why are you posting alternatives here, or suggesting that the rest of the fan base - the "active" fan base that's attempting to find solutions - should be just as passive as you seem to be?

It's pretty clear that the "passive" fan base contributed, with their passivity, to the state we find ourselves in now.

Further, does it make sense to you that not questioning the leaders ability might just lead to the death of the activity, thereby stealing your ability to be even a "passive" fan?

At some point you have to get involved if you want real solutions.

I say it because talk is cheap, and I don't really have a problem with the direction that DCI is taking as a whole. If I did, then I would take it up with people who could do something, not commiserate with a bunch of other people who can't do anything to instill change.

If you don't like something, take a chance and make an attempt to do something productive.

And symphony orchestras should become soup kitchens, and art museums should become homeless shelters.

And all the people who adored Madison this year for their more traditional approach to drum corps -- they weren't talking about their style but about their work helping disadvantaged youth?

OK, more elitist nonsense and not seeing the forest through the trees. Mainstream society doesn't care what Madison played this year and they never will.

I say it because talk is cheap, and I don't really have a problem with the direction that DCI is taking as a whole. If I did, then I would take it up with people who could do something, not commiserate with a bunch of other people who can't do anything to instill change.

If you don't like something, take a chance and make an attempt to do something productive.

In a decade or so you'll be commiserating like a pro. Maybe less than that.

Being a fan may make you educated, but it doesn't mean your opinion matters towards the direction of the activity. I know mine doesn't.

The problem I see is not making a profit, it's not losing as much money as they do. There is a middle ground here you seem to not acknowledge.

Where did you develop such a fatalist viewpoint? It's a shame, IMO.

But assuming you are correct that your opinion doesn't count, that doesn't suggest your actions don't count!

Get off the computer keyboard and DO something! You'll feel better about the impact you actually do have.

Being a fan may make you educated, but it doesn't mean your opinion matters towards the direction of the activity. I know mine doesn't.

The problem I see is not making a profit, it's not losing as much money as they do. There is a middle ground here you seem to not acknowledge.

The middle ground is the cost of fuel. This is a new tripling of expenses that has only taken place in the past few short years. How do you fix it? Amend the touring model. That's what this thread is all about anyway isn't it? Your number one expenses has TRIPLED .. how do you adjust. It shouldn't be by cutting into the DCI coffers or adding more expenses as a potential solution to getting more butts in the seats.

For the record .. my opinion does matter toward the direction of the activity. I pay my hard earned cash trying to enjoy the product on the field. The complaint is about money .... guess who has the money? We do ........ I do! Which leads me right back to the person on the record making the complaints ........ you're not hurting for cash in Allentown PA. It's the same as it is every year. USSBA revenues might be down due in poor weather last year, but that will change this year. This is all just smoke and mirrors to get an agenda passed from a position of Non Power. I think Hop is doing it just to see if he can do it without being on the Executive BoD.

WoooHooo, you didn't need to make this thread personal. I'm not attacking you ... I just don't agree with you :doh:

I don't agree with the touring model. I don't agree with the agenda Hopkins is pushing. At the end of the day, only my opinion matters to me. If people out there in cyberland are nodding their heads in agreement, then my opinion shows that it can affect the direction of the activity. Would a negative effect on the corps be my personal responsibility should the people nodding decide to spend less money on DCI next year? Heck no ... that's on the corps directors shoulders to do the right thing in order to keep the paying customers happy. They are charging money for a product that people are less and less enthusiastic about. They should be accountable. What's worse, they're charging rates for a single end zone seat that I could otherwise spend on 2 tickets to the Detroit Tigers including 2 drinks and 2 dogs for 3+ hours of entertainment and competition.

Time for my siesta ..... enjoy your day everyone!

Wow, such a defeatist attitude. This is really sad, and it's a good thing that Don Warren, Jim Jones, Bill Cook, et al didn't take this viewpoint of life.

Further, your connotation that those of us here can't do anything is just sheer misery looking for company. You have no clue of how wrong you are.

And I speak personally, by the way.