Giving it to Reading?

skeptic

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are unsure how this all works, I suggest reading the recap and getting the wording on the criteria for judging.

Although performance is a huge portion of the score, part of it is also composition/repertoire effectiveness, etc.

The Bucs have dominated in the composition sub-captions and in some cases this could help them with a sloppy performance.

A straight line is a straight line, but what is being done prior to and following that straight line? etc...

See the difference? Many of the comments here are old school and not relevant in 2010.

Opinions are unique to each person but the judges are not supposed to judge with their opinion, unless it agrees with the criteria that they are required to follow.

If you have a problem with the judging, take it up with the DCA, not a corps that works within the system and is successful, as a result.

There was a lot of complaining at the top of the season about the scores and spreads, yet the composition numbers made it clear and those spreads were maintained consistently throughout the season, for most of the corps.

The Bucs have worked within the system, laid all of their cards on the table and have welcomed any takers to make a change.

Instead of knocking the champion, how about working with another group to change the situation?

Think about what it feels like for the Bucs after winning 57 shows in a row and coming on here to read all of this negativity towards them. It is a shame that many people are not able to recognize this all as a good thing and find a way to step it up for everyone. Think about how much better everyone would be and how this would affect the DCA as a whole. That should be the focus, not negfativity towards the champion.

My $.02 - flame away.

If you are unsure how this all works, I suggest reading the recap and getting the wording on the criteria for judging.

Although performance is a huge portion of the score, part of it is also composition/repertoire effectiveness, etc.

The Bucs have dominated in the composition sub-captions and in some cases this could help them with a sloppy performance.

A straight line is a straight line, but what is being done prior to and following that straight line? etc...

See the difference? Many of the comments here are old school and not relevant in 2010.

Opinions are unique to each person but the judges are not supposed to judge with their opinion, unless it agrees with the criteria that they are required to follow.

If you have a problem with the judging, take it up with the DCA, not a corps that works within the system and is successful, as a result.

There was a lot of complaining at the top of the season about the scores and spreads, yet the composition numbers made it clear and those spreads were maintained consistently throughout the season, for most of the corps.

The Bucs have worked within the system, laid all of their cards on the table and have welcomed any takers to make a change.

Instead of knocking the champion, how about working with another group to change the situation?

Think about what it feels like for the Bucs after winning 57 shows in a row and coming on here to read all of this negativity towards them. It is a shame that many people are not able to recognize this all as a good thing and find a way to step it up for everyone. Think about how much better everyone would be and how this would affect the DCA as a whole. That should be the focus, not negfativity towards the champion.

My $.02 - flame away.

Not tryin to argue here and I agree in terms of composition there was nothing close to them this year.. but in prelims which by anyones estimation was a rough run for them they had ensemble visual they had a 100 im compsition im fine with that.. but a 99 in excellence is no where near the right number on saturday night

MBI was the better corps hands down. Reading was good but sloppy and had little to no emotion or effect.

I feel bad for the corps from the mid-west, look at the locations of the judges... ALL east coast. Whether you think it matters or not - it does.

except most of those judges had seen the midwest corps prior to prelims

Prelims - MBI 96.175 Reading 97.500 = Reading by 1.375

5 out of 11 judges had Reading in first in their respective captions. MBI had 4, Empire had 2. Reading wins, corps are ranked correctly. Time for Finals.

Finals - MBI 97.225 Reading 98.263 = Reading by 1.038

5 out of 11 judges had Reading in first in their respective captions. MBI had 3, Empire had 2 and Hurcs had 1. Reading wins, show is over. Time for Monday morning quarterbacking to commence.

Each judge gets to focus on their one single caption through out the entire show, while all of the armchair judges that flippantly say "So & so got screwed! I was there and I saw and heard it!" These people somehow feel they have the ability to do the entire job better than 11 trained professionals that all have judged dozens if not hundreds of contests and all have proven track records.

Mistakes are made, but the current system does a good job of minimizing the effect any one judge that "has an off night" can have on the outcome. Personally, I would like to see a complete double panel for Prelims and Finals, but I doubt the corps would approve adding on $3K-4K to the judging bill.

IMHO, the best corps won and the second best corps did an amazing job as well and gave Reading a serious run for their money. But who am I to say? I'm only one person and not a panel of 11 judges! :guinesssmilie:

MBI scored a 96.375 (which makes us both wrong with that)

I just dont see how bucs won the visual captions when they were as dirty as they were when the others were not as bad.

Edited by skeptic

people are sick of this champion. thats why there is negativity.

My $.02 - flame away.

agree yet......book should only get so much credit if there is performance issues. looking at the recaps, .5 between book and performance is a bit much, especially when book gets a 10. that says to me either bad numbers management or, the performance issues were overlooked to a degree.

it wouldnt have changed the outcome. but it does make a statement to a degree that book rules all, even if performance isnt there.

I guess I've always had the opinion that (just like DCI) any corps that scores over a 95 has a legit chance of being crowned Champion .... regardless of how close to 100 their final score actually is. I see some variances on the recap from book to performance ...... but the truth is, it was the typical +-0.1 to 0.2 per caption from corps to corps. All that means is the judge was making a judgment call as to who was in what place in their mind ........ there is no reality to the numbers given beyond the 9.5 mark.

There were 3 great corps at the top and any of them could have won. I guess that's the way I'll look at it, and for that, I consider all 3 championship caliber corps. Titles schmitles. Yes it's great to get the ring, but it's pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Honestly, all of the top 6 corps were stellar. And for that .. all of DCA should be proud.