Giving it to Reading?

skeptic

So if we are going to continue with this line of reasoning......let's REALLy talk design then as well. Is standing still part of the sheets. Is there a great deal of planning with CO2? Is there a degree of talent with standing still. SHould a show flow or stop and go through out the performance and often when the music clearly dictates movement....... SHould there be ANy level thinking outside of the box displayed in the design????

We should really discuss every aspect of the sheets then if we keep going this way. Failure to do so would just short change the truth......

The Bucs prepare to win each year and do not plan to beat other corps. They do heir own thing and do not look in the rear view mirror. They look at what they have and aim push the bar higher. What they do off of the field is equally as important as what they do at each and every rehearsal.

Folks - they won again and earned it. If you have a problem with it - look at how they did it - it was a demanding, well paced, musically written (meaning the visual matched the music WITH movement), tension/release drill design 101 aspects, fantastic perc book written musically to enhance the story line and yet be featured ONLY when appropriate . . .advanced planning with follow through plans. . . you get the idea.

The judges look at all of the sheets and the criteria on them. Biased people have a tendency to ignore them.......reality is reality.

Design and planning is Design and planning.......the off season is extremely important.

Congratulations 2010 Buccaneers on your earned Championship and setting a couple of more records.

I of course, couldn't agree more. And you stated the case without having to resort to taking backhanded stabs at another upstate New York corps, who will remain nameless....oops, missed that first paragraph! But to ANY corps who thinks that floating a miniature hot air balloon tethered to a rope, will be the missing design element to push their corps over the top against a corps such as the Buccanneers....it won't.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the psychology of it all? What if MBI beats Reading on Prelims? What does that do to the mindset of the performers from each corps? Reading hasn't lost in, well, now, 6 years. Everybody that marches Reading has never lost and honestly, I don't think they would know what to do with themselves if they had lost prelims night! Other way around for MBI! They beat Reading, they go into rehearsal the next day and Finals on such a high that I think they would not have been beaten on Sunday night! I, for one, thought MBI should have beaten Reading on Saturday.

And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle...

I of course, couldn't agree more. And you stated the case without having to resort to taking backhanded stabs at another upstate New York corps, who will remain nameless....oops, missed that first paragraph! But to ANY corps who thinks that floating a miniature hot air balloon tethered to a rope, will be the missing design element to push their corps over the top against a corps such as the Buccanneers....it won't.

I pointed out how wrong you were about this point in a long post about a week back after the reading show and you never replied in that thread (except to respond to much LESS reasoned posts)...I simply assumed you ignored the post because you had no argument. Now I see that you just planned to ignore it and jump back in with the same shallow retorts a week later, as if we hadn't already had this discussion. Unfortunately I cant go into it now, but if you really think that a balloon and some smoke is the extent of Empires knowledge of GE, you are actually thicker than someone who thinks such things ARE enough to win effect. By the way (and I know its not much consolation...but for the sake of argument), who won overall effect at Reading's homeshow (without the balloon!?!?) :guinesssmilie:

By the way (and I know its not much consolation...but for the sake of argument), who won overall effect at Reading's homeshow (without the balloon!?!?) :guinesssmilie:

Can you say who won it at Scranton? Without looking it up? How about, I don't know, Lewisburg in 2008? No one cares and to be honest, it would be kind of pathetic to bring it up. By all accounts, there were 5 really strong corps this, year with a better than usual 6th through 11th. If there are 3, 4 or even 5 corps that really have a shot at winning, only one of them is going to be happy after Finals.

No doubt that everyone worked really hard to go for the brass ring, but unfortunately, there is only one ring. For those that are unhappy about the results, get to work now and make your corps even better next year. That's probably what Reading did way back in 2004 just about this time after taking 3rd at finals to Brigs and Empire.

Can you say who won it at Scranton? Without looking it up? How about, I don't know, Lewisburg in 2008? No one cares and to be honest, it would be kind of pathetic to bring it up. By all accounts, there were 5 really strong corps this, year with a better than usual 6th through 11th. If there are 3, 4 or even 5 corps that really have a shot at winning, only one of them is going to be happy after Finals.

No doubt that everyone worked really hard to go for the brass ring, but unfortunately, there is only one ring. For those that are unhappy about the results, get to work now and make your corps even better next year. That's probably what Reading did way back in 2004 just about this time after taking 3rd at finals to Brigs and Empire.

Hey, folks are making a big deal about field percussion. And there's not even a trophy for that! At least with GE, you get a trophy. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures...

So if we are going to continue with this line of reasoning......let's REALLy talk design then as well. Is standing still part of the sheets. Is there a great deal of planning with CO2? Is there a degree of talent with standing still. SHould a show flow or stop and go through out the performance and often when the music clearly dictates movement....... SHould there be ANy level thinking outside of the box displayed in the design????

We should really discuss every aspect of the sheets then if we keep going this way. Failure to do so would just short change the truth......

The Bucs prepare to win each year and do not plan to beat other corps. They do heir own thing and do not look in the rear view mirror. They look at what they have and aim push the bar higher. What they do off of the field is equally as important as what they do at each and every rehearsal.

Folks - they won again and earned it. If you have a problem with it - look at how they did it - it was a demanding, well paced, musically written (meaning the visual matched the music WITH movement), tension/release drill design 101 aspects, fantastic perc book written musically to enhance the story line and yet be featured ONLY when appropriate . . .advanced planning with follow through plans. . . you get the idea.

The judges look at all of the sheets and the criteria on them. Biased people have a tendency to ignore them.......reality is reality.

Design and planning is Design and planning.......the off season is extremely important.

Congratulations 2010 Buccaneers on your earned Championship and setting a couple of more records.

How bout you actually read my posts before quoting me and going on a rant.. I have stated Reading's demand is second to none.. how ever thier EXCELLENCE is no where near the 99's or 97's that they were getting that is my point...

What about the psychology of it all? What if MBI beats Reading on Prelims? What does that do to the mindset of the performers from each corps? Reading hasn't lost in, well, now, 6 years. Everybody that marches Reading has never lost and honestly, I don't think they would know what to do with themselves if they had lost prelims night! Other way around for MBI! They beat Reading, they go into rehearsal the next day and Finals on such a high that I think they would not have been beaten on Sunday night! I, for one, thought MBI should have beaten Reading on Saturday.

not always. I know in 96 we hadn't lost since June, and lost in prelims. To be honest, we sucked, and we found ourselves .9 down.

Saturday night we had a loose but focused rehearsal, Sunday we worked hard but for a short time, and Sunday we pulled the #### thing out by .1

I agree with the Park and Bark with the Blue team then as well - and I agree with some of the cleanliness issues as well. Having said that - design is always left out. It is the white elephant in the room which everyone seems to dodge. It is also part of the sheets. A clean performance is the goal for every group so the intent of the show is communicated to the audience. The cleanliness also highlights the design - it acts like a magnifying glass for each and every group. If a performance number is higher than a design number - or even close - not actually a totally good thing.

Did not mean to tick anyone off - there is white elephant there - that's all

conversly, and not necessarily Bucs, but too often cleanliness is overlooked because of design. if you get a 10 in book, and a 95 in performance....something aint right. if there is that much of a gap between performer and book, a 10 shouldn't be thrown out

I pointed out how wrong you were about this point in a long post about a week back after the reading show and you never replied in that thread (except to respond to much LESS reasoned posts)...I simply assumed you ignored the post because you had no argument. Now I see that you just planned to ignore it and jump back in with the same shallow retorts a week later, as if we hadn't already had this discussion. Unfortunately I cant go into it now, but if you really think that a balloon and some smoke is the extent of Empires knowledge of GE, you are actually thicker than someone who thinks such things ARE enough to win effect. By the way (and I know its not much consolation...but for the sake of argument), who won overall effect at Reading's homeshow (without the balloon!?!?) :guinesssmilie:

oh that had to hurt :music:

I of course, couldn't agree more. And you stated the case without having to resort to taking backhanded stabs at another upstate New York corps, who will remain nameless....oops, missed that first paragraph! But to ANY corps who thinks that floating a miniature hot air balloon tethered to a rope, will be the missing design element to push their corps over the top against a corps such as the Buccanneers.... it won't.

Come on now. Just a bit over the top.

Knowing the Statesmen as well as I do..... I don't think that "adding a balloon" (or any other props, special effects, etc.) was, in their mind, the "missing element" that would put them in first place.

I think it was just another way of them adding to the audience's enjoyment of their performance. That is something they do every year, regardless of where they are in the standings entering championship weekend.

There is no question in my mind that the Buccaneers were the winners Sunday night. They delivered a knockout performance, as true champions tend to do. And their show wasn't exactly sit-on-your-hands boring.... far from it. Exceptional design. A great corps, great organization, great people... great champions.

But in terms of character development, storyline, role-playing (and none of that stuff is easy to design or perform), and sheer audience connection.... no one did it better than the Empire Statesmen this year, IMO. As a fan of the activity, no competition corps this year....DCA or DCI... put a smile on my face as wide as the one I had when they performed.