Giving it to Reading?

skeptic

Ha... move on. I don't hear any banter about where the judges are from, thats bc its valid. That is a fixable flaw in DCA... expand the circle of judges please.

Every year the Bucs won they were definitely the champs. I don't feel that way this year. It is my opinion and it may ruffle some feathers but it is what I SAW and HEARD that makes me feel this way.

Edited by dcaninja

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading did what great champions do, they elevated their game for their final performance. Congratulations to them on extending their string, not an easy thing to do with a target square on their back.

A REALIST. :guinesssmilie: How refreshing and how true. If you want to beat the best (in anything) it has to be a "Knock-out" punch. A "Let there be No Doubt" thingee.

Still, having said all that, when you are within tenths of points there is no reason to hang your head. You all brang your "A" game. Reading brought their "A+" game. Just sayin............

Edited by melligene

I didn't attend prelims so I can't compare those performances. But this I can say, Reading was pretty sloppy drill wise Sunday at Finals. They weren't covering their files at times and did seem to slightly miss some of their sets. But they performed their musical performance very well and that is what they are most noted for. I think the MB performed their musical performance as well as Reading and I think they performed their drill better then Reading did theirs. Judges saw it differently. So be it. But then again I thought Empire's show was the most entertaining.

Edited by NYSkyliner

If you want to beat the best (in anything) it has to be a "Knock-out" punch. A "Let there be No Doubt" thingee.

Still, having said all that, when you are within tenths of points there is no reason to hang your head. You all brang your "A" game. Reading brought their "A+" game. Just sayin............

No...it should not have to be a knock out punch. If a corps is better by 0.001 then they should be the winner. I just feel that it was so close between the 3 that the judges leaned towards Reading just because they are Reading and that is not fair to MBI or ES. MBI won prelims IMO and that would have set them up to have a better shot at beating Reading at finals.

MBI was -.7ish from Bucs in prelims and was 1.0ish at finals... would have been a dog fight if MBI was credited the way they should have been in prelims.

Edited by skeptic

Reading did what great champions do, they elevated their game for their final performance. Congratulations to them on extending their string, not an easy thing to do with a target square on their back.

Agree completely with the Sunday night performance. I was looking to find some holes in Bucs show, because both Empire and MB had "thrown down" great performances and I though this might just be the year. Bucs elevated their A game and it worked.

As for Sat prelims, I alslo agree with many posters in that Bucs didn't have their "A" game and maybe could have been third.........and would this have made a difference to each corps' performance on Sunday? We'll never know and it doesn't matter!!!!

Congrats to the Bucs, and really congrats to all for making my weekend finale the most enjoyable DCA finals I've been to in years.

I didn't attend prelims so I can't compare those performances. But this I can say, Reading was pretty sloppy drill wise Sunday at Finals. They weren't covering their files at times and did seem to slightly miss some of their sets. But they performed their musical performance very well and that is what they are most noted for. I think the MB performed their musical performance as well as Reading and I think they performed their drill better then Reading did theirs. Judges saw it differently. So be it. But then again I thought Empire's show was the most entertaining.

Oh and by the way, my seat for Finals was on the 47 yard line, right behind the judges. As a matter of fact, I had to sit on the edge of my seat to be able to see the entire field. Just sayin'.

...the judges leaned towards Reading just because they are Reading and that is not fair to MBI or ES. MBI won prelims IMO and that would have set them up to have a better shot at beating Reading at finals.

MBI was -.7ish from Bucs in prelims and was 1.0ish at finals... would have been a dog fight if MBI was credited the way they should have been in prelims.

Prelims - MBI 96.175 Reading 97.500 = Reading by 1.375

5 out of 11 judges had Reading in first in their respective captions. MBI had 4, Empire had 2. Reading wins, corps are ranked correctly. Time for Finals.

Finals - MBI 97.225 Reading 98.263 = Reading by 1.038

5 out of 11 judges had Reading in first in their respective captions. MBI had 3, Empire had 2 and Hurcs had 1. Reading wins, show is over. Time for Monday morning quarterbacking to commence.

Each judge gets to focus on their one single caption through out the entire show, while all of the armchair judges that flippantly say "So & so got screwed! I was there and I saw and heard it!" These people somehow feel they have the ability to do the entire job better than 11 trained professionals that all have judged dozens if not hundreds of contests and all have proven track records.

Mistakes are made, but the current system does a good job of minimizing the effect any one judge that "has an off night" can have on the outcome. Personally, I would like to see a complete double panel for Prelims and Finals, but I doubt the corps would approve adding on $3K-4K to the judging bill.

IMHO, the best corps won and the second best corps did an amazing job as well and gave Reading a serious run for their money. But who am I to say? I'm only one person and not a panel of 11 judges! :guinesssmilie:

5 out of 11 judges had Reading in first in their respective captions. MBI had 4, Empire had 2. Reading wins, corps are ranked correctly. Time for Finals.

5 out of 11 judges had Reading in first in their respective captions. MBI had 3, Empire had 2 and Hurcs had 1. Reading wins, show is over. Time for Monday morning quarterbacking to commence.

Each judge gets to focus on their one single caption through out the entire show, while all of the armchair judges that flippantly say "So & so got screwed! I was there and I saw and heard it!" These people somehow feel they have the ability to do the entire job better than 11 trained professionals that all have judged dozens if not hundreds of contests and all have proven track records.

Mistakes are made, but the current system does a good job of minimizing the effect any one judge that "has an off night" can have on the outcome. Personally, I would like to see a complete double panel for Prelims and Finals, but I doubt the corps would approve adding on $3K-4K to the judging bill.

IMHO, the best corps won and the second best corps did an amazing job as well and gave Reading a serious run for their money. But who am I to say? I'm only one person and not a panel of 11 judges! :guinesssmilie:

You're right, it is what it is, second guessing will not change a thing. I think the crowd was rewarded with a whole night full of great performances, their the ones who won for sure.

MBI was the better corps hands down. Reading was good but sloppy and had little to no emotion or effect.

I feel bad for the corps from the mid-west, look at the locations of the judges... ALL east coast. Whether you think it matters or not - it does.

I noticed in the last couple of midwest shows that Eastern judges were involved. Namely, Judy Ulchinsky, John Stauffer and Not sure but I think Joe Nee is from the East. The 2 shows That I am refering two were both in Minnesota. St. Paul, and St Peter

Your theory is great until you factor in that all someone had to do is watch the visual programs and see that Reading was far more dirty than the 2 corps behind them.. And how did Reading win? On the strength of thier visual captions... If they dominated music and lost in visual and won I think you might have an argument but anyone who was there both night could see that reading had no business winning the visual captions.