Corps Moving back to "G" Horns

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have started playing my G contra in my school's pep band, up against 16 other Sousaphone players. Why? Because I know my G contra plays and sounds far better than a Conn 20K Bb Sousaphone.

Contra>Sousaphone regardless of the key of the instrument.

Contra>Sousaphone regardless of the key of the instrument.

I've heard a lot of argument about this issue. You mean a full-sized 'modern/super' Contra in G, not those realtively teeny ones from Back in the Day?

BITD, we were using Meinl shoulder B-Flats at WCU, which were not very good, they were replaced with Sousaphones, which seemed to be an improvement- then again anything that didn't leak and has a semi focused sound were better than those Meinls.

Recent video tells me they're back to a full-size concert tuba off the shoulder.

Just wondering why you'd prefer the contra over the Sousaphones is all.

Holton, way back when, built a prototype model 371 single-valve G "contra bugle" in sousaphone wrap.

Predictably, it didn't pass muster with the vets organizations.

It now resides at the National Music Museum in Vermillion SD.

Edited by HornsUp

Sousaphones, assuming it's a good quality horn and a decent player, sound better at the extremes. One player in a small band? Sousaphone. A really large section in a really large band? Sousaphones again. Anything in between, which is a very large majority of bands? A good quality Bb contra-style horn, non-convertible.

FYI, there are no good convertible marching tubas.

But can Kanstul market those G horns to universities, high schools, middle schools, professionals, ad infinitum? Kanstul is the only company left really trying trying to sell them in a market where nobody outside of some old school drum corps people want G horns; Of course they are cheaper due to in stock items that are currently still made by one company trying to stay alive with an older product. But those companies who have factories that are still tooled to make VCR players or the older DVD players could also sell those prodects at a discount.

what "in stock items"????? Anyone needing more than 1 or 2 of a particular G horn will have to wait a few days while they make you one so the "old stock" argument is a non-starter.

what "in stock items"????? Anyone needing more than 1 or 2 of a particular G horn will have to wait a few days while they make you one so the "old stock" argument is a non-starter.

And not even then....when I bought my Powerbore in 06, I had to wait for them to make it, which is why I didn't have it until just before LMS-South...I think there was a 6 week lead time.

But can Kanstul market those G horns to universities, high schools, middle schools, professionals, ad infinitum? Kanstul is the only company left really trying trying to sell them in a market where nobody outside of some old school drum corps people want G horns; Of course they are cheaper due to in stock items that are currently still made by one company trying to stay alive with an older product. But those companies who have factories that are still tooled to make VCR players or the older DVD players could also sell those prodects at a discount.

They are made to order. There are no "in stock items". They still have the tooling.

Kanstul G Bugles are highly sought after horns.

Kanstul also offers all the Bando horns plus.....other specialty Brass.

Edited by Kansan

They are made to order. There are no "in stock items". They still have the tooling.

In another thread the OP asked if anyone had ever changed their mind by reading other poster comments. Here is a case to the affirmative; I stand corrected: I concede that there are no "in stock" G horns at Kanstu and they are made to order.

Kanstul G Bugles are highly sought after horns.

Kanstul G horns are "highly" sought after, really? hmmmmmmm… highly sought after means that they are either: a) Rare and have extreme high value with an extreme high price tag; or b) The market demand is so massive Kanstul cannot keep up with production which also causes their value to be sky high. So, which is it that causes them to be "highly sought after", a or b?

Kanstul also offers all the Bando horns plus.....other specialty Brass.

I know that you meant no disrespect, but it is interesting how you used the term Bando; sort of like when someone jokingly uses the phrase Dumb & Bungle Corps. Not analyzing any deeper than that; just an observation that is all.

Edited by Stu