Corps Moving back to "G" Horns

...To Boo. I think the aftermarket for G bugles is actually better now than it was 10 years ago ..... in fact, they're getting harder and harder to find, and darn near impossible to find an entire line to purchase. Considering these horns last 15-30 years, I think they're well worth the value compared to Multi Key aftermarket prices when the horns only last a few years.

For resale, a corps would have to find another corps that wanted used horns. There isn't the option corps have now with B-flat horns being sold to bands.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For resale, a corps would have to find another corps that wanted used horns. There isn't the option corps have now with B-flat horns being sold to bands.

I have to agree with Mike. G horns are great and one of the things that made Drum Corps unique. The problem is the resale value. There are a lot more bands than corps, and they play on Bb's, so if you have to unload your G's who would you sell them to? It's a much smaller market.

I have to agree with Mike. G horns are great and one of the things that made Drum Corps unique. The problem is the resale value. There are a lot more bands than corps, and they play on Bb's, so if you have to unload your G's who would you sell them to? It's a much smaller market.

Start having high school drum corps?

We had a Drum and Wind Corps at Milton Hershey School in the 90's using Kanstul G Bugles with the woodwinds. We had a lot of fun with it. I think there's a small HS in the South somewhere with G Bugles and marching brass only.

The reasons that DCI moved to the Bb horns in the first place were manufacturing, money, marketing, recruitment. Companies like Yamaha, King, Dynasty can mass produce the Bb horns making them far less expensive; those same companies can now market those Bb horns used by the major corps to university and high school band programs helping to bring those programs more in line with the corps; and the corps can now recruit players easier from academic institutions because they are all Bb oriented. So, no matter the upside you can come up with concerning the G horns, they pale in comparison to the upside of the Bb horns.

Yep, you go and convience all of those high school administrations and band directors to just dump all of those Bb brass instruments and buy those expensive G horns, as well as burn all of those clarinets and melt down all of those flutes and saxes because they are not real corps instruments, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Yep, you go and convience all of those high school administrations and band directors to just dump all of those Bb brass instruments and buy those expensive G horns, as well as burn all of those clarinets and melt down all of those flutes and saxes because they are not real corps instruments, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

You ARE aware that G horns from Kanstul are actually CHEAPER than Bbs from Kanstul, right?

G

Sop: $880

Mello: $1085

Bari: $1425

Contra: $6835

Bb

Trumpet: $1770

Mello: $2185

Bari: $2280

Tuba: $6830 (smallest size)

A pretty significant diff in price there.

And funny some people should mention a HS drum corps....

You ARE aware that G horns from Kanstul are actually CHEAPER than Bbs from Kanstul, right?

G

Bb

But can Kanstul market those G horns to universities, high schools, middle schools, professionals, ad infinitum? Kanstul is the only company left really trying trying to sell them in a market where nobody outside of some old school drum corps people want G horns; Of course they are cheaper due to in stock items that are currently still made by one company trying to stay alive with an older product. But those companies who have factories that are still tooled to make VCR players or the older DVD players could also sell those prodects at a discount.

Edited by Stu

I served time in a Catholic high school. The senior year religion classes were segregated by gender, guess why?

I've been monitoring the G vs. multikey threads since their inception. I've been reading dozens of posts from people who have never set foot in a brass manufacturing facility.

Most of you folks are as clueless about horn construction as Father Albinger was about sex education.

G

Bb

And funny some people should mention a HS drum corps....

You're looking at individual price. Think of how much discount a corps gets when purchasing a section or line of new Bb horns. I'm willing to bet you corps didn't get that discount before 2000 and they won't get that discount for G horns now. Also, consider the resale value of those Bb horns compared to G horns. No corps before 2000 was able to turn over their horns every 2-3 years, earning back a significant portion of the original purchase price, like they do now.

And, yes, people mention A high school drum corps (North Port in Florida). That's ONE high school drum and bugle corps in the entire country.

Now, on the other hand, a small enough drum corps like Platinum won't get the kind of deal on a line of Bb horns that the bigger corps get, so, from an economic standpoint, purchasing a small line of G horns might actually make sense, especially if there's enough demand from the remaining all-age, alumni, and mini-corps still on G to purchase them in the future.

As to the question of resale value of G horns, I've purchased two G horns from corps which were either switching to Bb (Carolina Crown) or replacing their current G line (Kilties). I payed $200 for a King K-70 from the Kilties, in excellent condition, which I consider a steal. I bought the Crown horn, a Dynasty 3 valve, back in 2002, and I payed between $300 and $400 for that one. It's actually in worse shape than the King, but it's served me well. My next goal is to find a King K-80 euph and a K-90 contra that I can afford to buy. I've only played a Bb in drum corps for one North Coast Rock rehearsal and, while I had no issues with it, I prefer playing on my King 2 valve.