DCA Crowd

OK, this was only my 2nd DCA trip and I must say that it was an amazing couple of days of drum corps. Kudos to all the corps on a job well done. I must say though I was surprised that the crowds seemed so subdued. There were so many great moments in so many of the shows that were screaming for people to leap out of their seats but very few did. Is this always the way at DCA? Was it because of the chilly weather, people didn't want to get up in the middle of the show? Just curious.

Why was the crowd subdued? The answer is simple- The entertainment didn’t move the people…..Not all you individuals but “the crowd” “the people”.

I read/listen to most of the posts/discussion on these forums, example. How do we recruit? How do we grow the base? How do we fix the perception of DCA? Why was the crowd subdued? And the best, all the self proclaimed brain trust can come up with is the “weather” or educated (old) fans.

I really don’t think my opinion should be considered because I no longer have any skin in the game and am not ready to jump back in. (as an aside I did go to several corps rehearsals in Rochester and that sound does still get to me deep inside.) This is a public forum, and a good dose of reality might be good for the activity.

Besides Cabs, our sister corps. we were the only one to put on a full field show.

Uh, Bridgemen put out a "full field show" as well....

I know many more people miss playing off the field than the parking lot stuff. I've heard far too many people make fun of the parking lot heroes trying to hit notes they couldn't or wouldn't try on the field

I was going to mention that last night when I first saw Ed's comment but I didn't want to start another war over the parking lot concerts. I mentioned that the tradition of playing off the field at finals was let pass without a whisper in that thread. That saddens me far more than the lot concerts.

I was going to mention that last night when I first saw Ed's comment but I didn't want to start another war over the parking lot concerts. I mentioned that the tradition of playing off the field at finals was let pass without a whisper in that thread. That saddens me far more than the lot concerts.

Same here, actually enjoy the corps playing off "one last time" at any show more than hearing just one corps entire show again. Especially when you can have Cabs play Flamingo or Hurcs doing Hang 'em High/Mag 7.

Myself and others would like to know how the placing of the corps are for the Alumni Show. Maybe you can help me out here Tom. Scout House has been doing the show for 8 years now and we still show up first. Are there dues to pay. Besides Cabs, our sister corps. we were the only one to put on a full field show.

Apparently you didn't catch the whole show. Bridgemen did a full field show, and the drill looked really great! Guess you missed that? Or did you intentionally leave that out?

I am being positive that DCA would like to put us on early to drag a crowd out. What tre the politics.

Also, I was disappointed at DCA`s coverage of the event on their website. They said `The show started with the Optimist Alumni from Toronto, etc. I guess we and others werent`t there.

So is it politics? Or intentionally that you left Bridgemen out when saying it was just you and Cabs doing a full field show?

See I don't think it was intentional, and my gut feeling is nor was the DCA website issue. But it makes it easy to see how things can so very easily be misconstrued doesn't it?

Congrats on being the corps DCA opens the show with. You ensure people show up if that's the case. Otherwise you'd be playing to an empty house. Which bites. DCI has set the Bridgemen up for that 2 years in a row now.

Uh, Bridgemen put out a "full field show" as well....

Oops....missed the earlier point, making my response pointless. :dontgetit:

Move along...nothing to see here..... :confused:

Edited by Fran Haring

Why was the crowd subdued? The answer is simple- The entertainment didn't move the people…..Not all you individuals but "the crowd" "the people".

I read/listen to most of the posts/discussion on these forums, example. How do we recruit? How do we grow the base? How do we fix the perception of DCA? Why was the crowd subdued? And the best, all the self proclaimed brain trust can come up with is the "weather" or educated (old) fans.

I really don't think my opinion should be considered because I no longer have any skin in the game and am not ready to jump back in. (as an aside I did go to several corps rehearsals in Rochester and that sound does still get to me deep inside.) This is a public forum, and a good dose of reality might be good for the activity.

in some yeays recently I would agree with the entertainment top to bottom. But not this year. You could not have had a more diverse, well rounded and talented set of shows and corps on the field. You truly had something for everyone in this year's 23 corps in prelims and 15 performing finals night.

As for the weather, well until you've been to DCUK finals on a wet, cold weekend in October, you've never had to suffer for your art!!!

Lee Court

Kidsgrove Scouts Staff 2009, 2010

Someone needs to lend Mr. Court a copy of the Ernesto year. :)

We went on the field in 20mph winds with rain blowing sideways. I didnt even bother buying the DVD because all you could see in some of the shots was a blurry mess due to the raindrops on the lenses.

Someone needs to lend Mr. Court a copy of the Ernesto year. :)

We went on the field in 20mph winds with rain blowing sideways. I didnt even bother buying the DVD because all you could see in some of the shots was a blurry mess due to the raindrops on the lenses.

Have the DVDs because we didn't make it to DCA that year due to family issues.

Yeah, some of the early Prelims corps shots are a blur. Not all Prelims corps availible and CorpsVets(?) do a mime routine for the last minute or so of Prelims (IOW - no sound). IIRC, the blowing rain starting killing the equipment and recording crew had to stop. Either MCL or Chops (forget which) did their show again Sunday so it could be recorded.

Sunday looked good but Saturday..............

Myself and others would like to know how the placing of the corps are for the Alumni Show. Maybe you can help me out here Tom. Scout House has been doing the show for 8 years now and we still show up first. Are there dues to pay. Besides Cabs, our sister corps. we were the only one to put on a full field show. I am being positive that DCA would like to put us on early to drag a crowd out. What tre the politics.

Also, I was disappointed at DCA`s coverage of the event on their website. They said `The show started with the Optimist Alumni from Toronto, etc. I guess we and others werent`t there.

Hey Val not for nuthin',

MSJ did an opener with drill (Bully)

Color Pre w/drill- (Battle Hymn)

Concerts (2) - Spender/Children of Sanchez

Drum Solo w/drill- Beer

Exit w/drill - Memories

Reprise w/drill- Friends

Encore - Georgia

Looks like a pretty complete full show to me.