1988 Spirit of Atlanta "Petrouchka"

Holy Smokes Bass Line. 9 Bass Drums? what was the size of the 9th drum? Woah!!!

plus the top four drum had toms mounted on them so you could in essence do a 13 drum bass line run.

Ah So that's what those individual toms on the ground were used for.

they're not on the ground - they are mounted to the top of the basses behind them

Also - you can barely see the last snare, but they had a 10 man snare line that year.

Big ### drumline

Edited by bluecoats88

Yeah...but the gynormous bass line was only for the perc feature, as I recall (in 88....don't know about 89)

Those are the same unis as in 88....if there were any changes, they were small and cosmetic.

Edited by 84BDsop

they're not on the ground - they are mounted to the top of the basses behind them

Also - you can barely see the last snare, but they had a 10 man snare line that year.

Big ### drumline

Duh..I just now noticed the toms were mounted. Are those mirrors on drums 5-9? I seem to remember a different corps using a mirror on their Bass#5 one year, I want to say BD 90' maybe..not sure.

Duh..I just now noticed the toms were mounted. Are those mirrors on drums 5-9? I seem to remember a different corps using a mirror on their Bass#5 one year, I want to say BD 90' maybe..not sure.

yeah spirit had mirrors on their basses through the late 80's. also had retractable legs with baby rebocks/nikes on them too.

I can't speak to the radical stylistic departure, but the arrangements for "Petrushka" are fantastic. They really have the Stravinsky feel to them, the bustle of the opening number, the 'toy doll' sounds, the military band sound of the beginning of the last movement, etc. They also had maybe the best guard and the second-or third-best pit in DCI that year.

• Like 1

I can't speak to the radical stylistic departure, but the arrangements for "Petrushka" are fantastic. They really have the Stravinsky feel to them, the bustle of the opening number, the 'toy doll' sounds, the military band sound of the beginning of the last movement, etc. They also had maybe the best guard and the second-or third-best pit in DCI that year.

I agree, great job arranging the Petrushka brass book by Jay Bocook. Guard staff included: Carol Abohatab, Scott Chandler and Tam Easterwood.