1988 Spirit of Atlanta "Petrouchka"

I've always been very bitter about 1988. I grew up loving Spirit and BD because of the huge jazz sound they each had. Spirit with the Southern jazz and Blue Devils with the Latin Jazz. I lived in Alabama so I loaded up one Friday night after our band finished an away game and went 6 hours to Atlanta to try out. I made it! I was so excited. Then when we received the book I was just gutted. I love classical music but this wasn't what I had dreamed of for years. My proudest moment was marching in the Martin Luther King parade in Atlanta in Jan of 1988 wearing the old blue uniforms with the big delta and playing Georgia and Are You From Dixie from the 87 show for 2 hours through Atlanta.

• Like 1

I've always been very bitter about 1988. I grew up loving Spirit and BD because of the huge jazz sound they each had. Spirit with the Southern jazz and Blue Devils with the Latin Jazz. I lived in Alabama so I loaded up one Friday night after our band finished an away game and went 6 hours to Atlanta to try out. I made it! I was so excited. Then when we received the book I was just gutted. I love classical music but this wasn't what I had dreamed of for years. My proudest moment was marching in the Martin Luther King parade in Atlanta in Jan of 1988 wearing the old blue uniforms with the big delta and playing Georgia and Are You From Dixie from the 87 show for 2 hours through Atlanta.

Personally, I loved the music. I thought it was brave of Spirit to take a brief departure. I am really sorry you had to wear that uniform. Yikes!

It was the proudest day ever wearing that uniform. Even though it smelled like it hadn't been washed since the 86 season. Spirit had like 5 top 10 finishes in that uniform man.......I'd take that again anytime.

Edited by KennyB

I believe Jay Bocook did the Brass Arrangements for the "Petrouchka" (Petrushka) show.

I actually liked the Petrouchka show. Not so much interstellar suite.

It was the proudest day ever wearing that uniform. Even though it smelled like it hadn't been washed since the 86 season. Spirit had like 5 top 10 finishes in that uniform man.......I'd take that again anytime.

I was referring to the show uni. I apologize for not being clear.

I was referring to the show uni. I apologize for not being clear.

Maybe I wasn't clear either---the one I was proud to wear was this............

Screenshot%2042_zpsabzzrkmg.png

• Like 1

Could totality see that as a drag, I often think that corps should announce their intended programs prior to auditions…there are some corps where I’d be either horrified or honored to be a part of their show

This is kinda similar to the way I felt when I went out for and made Crossmen in '85 to play some cool jazz only to discover later that we were doing a Spanish show.

I know right, and Spirit had been Top 10 1977-1987. Don't know why Freddie Martin and the staff decided on such a DRASTIC change when they were in the finals every season.

staff from Cadets/BK and others

I personally enjoyed these 2-3 years a ton

Drum guys from BK

Drill from BK/Cadets

Arranger from Cadets I believe

The mass audience was left scratching their heads, but I dug it.