1988 Spirit of Atlanta "Petrouchka"

I actually liked the "Petrouchka" show. Not so much "Interstellar Suite."

What did you think of AtlantaCV's take on "Interstellar Suite" in their "Carpe Caelum" show of 2013?

• 3 weeks later...

The answer to this is simple, and below is the real deal.

In 1986, Spirit fielded what was probably their best corps ever. Through much of the season they beat Garfield, and had victories over Suncoast and Cavies. Third place was a reality for them much of the season. Then, all three beat them at finals, leaving Spirit is 6th place.

In 1987, Spirit beat Garfield by over 2 points early in the season. Come finals, they were 10 points back in tenth place, while Garfield won.

The thought process behind '88 was simple - the shows they were doing in '86 and '87 (and in prior years) simply could not compete with the other top corps throughout a long season. Thus the change. They thought Petrouchka would provide them with greater competitive success. Unfortunately, it didn't, because I really liked the show. It's that simple.

Edited by henry_l

In retrospect 6th and 10th seem pretty darn good.

I was on the percussion staff in both '88 and '89. I can honestly say the I absolutely LOVED the musical arrangements both years. As has been stated before, I think the justification for the style change was that the "southern jazz" of the previous years was gleaning less and less favor from the judging community. A radical change was believed to be what was needed to get out of what was perceived as a design rut. Probably too much too soon but I always admired the staff for taking the bull by the horns and taking strides to try to improve the competitive standing of the organization.

I really loved my time with Spirit (88-90). I have never been around a more dedicated group of people. From Mike Back and Freddy Martin to Alan Armstrong and the rest of that staff, they all...to a person...did everything they could for the betterment of those kids and the organization as a whole. And they did it for next to nothing, if not nothing at all. No 5 figure salaries on that staff I promise you. Most of us were volunteers. Great, great people and great, great times. I still have my deltas and cherish them and the memories they represent.

Dan

• Thanks 1

I think 86 was my fav with Reggie Brown donning the choir robe to conduct Precious Lord.

• Like 1

I was on the percussion staff in both '88 and '89. I can honestly say the I absolutely LOVED the musical arrangements both years. As has been stated before, I think the justification for the style change was that the "southern jazz" of the previous years was gleaning less and less favor from the judging community. A radical change was believed to be what was needed to get out of what was perceived as a design rut. Probably too much too soon but I always admired the staff for taking the bull by the horns and taking strides to try to improve the competitive standing of the organization.

I really loved my time with Spirit (88-90). I have never been around a more dedicated group of people. From Mike Back and Freddy Martin to Alan Armstrong and the rest of that staff, they all...to a person...did everything they could for the betterment of those kids and the organization as a whole. And they did it for next to nothing, if not nothing at all. No 5 figure salaries on that staff I promise you. Most of us were volunteers. Great, great people and great, great times. I still have my deltas and cherish them and the memories they represent.

Dan

Well said. It was gutsy that's for sure. I really really loved the '88 show, but I'm a huge classical music fan. I can understand how the staff perceived a design rut, especially when you compare the '87 shows of Spirit and Garfield. Spirit was fun, loud and in your face. Garfield was elegant, graceful, and powerful in a different way...artsy almost. I, however, wish Spirit had stayed in the classical idiom.

• 5 years later...

I put the 1988 show in my top 3 faves for Spirit. I didnt care too much for the ending, because it seemed out of character from the rest of the piece (it sort of sounded like Petrushka got the girl after all in the end, rather than being beaten to death by the Moor). I think being so out of the box was what made it for me, even though a lot of people weren't too crazy about it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davidp said:

I put the 1988 show in my top 3 faves for Spirit. I didnt care too much for the ending, because it seemed out of character from the rest of the piece (it sort of sounded like Petrushka got the girl after all in the end, rather than being beaten to death by the Moor). I think being so out of the box was what made it for me, even though a lot of people weren't too crazy about it. 

Odd choice for your initial post. Lol. Regardless, welcome to dcp. 
Great show, awful uniforms.