George Parks

The UMASS band is keeping its commitment this weekend to take a road trip to Ann Arbor. May all of our collective thoughts and cheers be with them.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Weir of the US Naval Academy D&B Corps just posted on Facebook:

"Deepest condolences to the UMass Power and Class, past and present... RIP George Parks"

I asked what happened; he replied:

"Details still coming in... died suddenly while on the road with the band to Michigan... UMass-Michigan tomorrow at noon... unbelievable..."

Wow!!! This is hard to believe! (I've been reading all of the information since I heard about the VERY sad news earlier today...)

Most sincere condolences to the Parks family as well as the Buccaneers Organization, University of Massachusetts and friends. It has been my honor to have been a personal friend as well as competitor over many years.

George was only 57 years old.... I'm still at a loss for words.

<http://www.umass.edu/newsoffice/newsreleases/articles/111065.php>

Godspeed my friend...

1987 - Pouring rain in prelims - once the Bucs were on the field...Mr. Parks does his salute, mace toss, and all that jazz (FYI he had an arm in a sling)......he climbs up on the podium and turns to the crowd....and in a pirate-like growl he proclaims "This is Buccaneer weather! These landlubbers don't stand a chance!" The crowd goes wild and the Bucs played a hell of a show...including a mace toss (and I think a tumble to catch it) leading the final company front in the last push of the show!

Amazing....one of my most vivid DCA memories ever!

Rest in Peace Mr. Parks! Eyes with pride!

He was an inspiration to countless individuals over the years including me. Attending his Drum Major Academy was one of the best decisions of my life and I will never forget it.

RIP George.

I only met the man twice and it was a memorable experience both times. As a former Buccaneer and a fellow member of KKY I feel that both organizations have lost a true icon.

RIP

and in 2005, before the Bucs began the victory run, when he saluted his student, and the man who brought home a title on the box for the first time since George stepped down, Josh Decker. and Josh saluted back.

I believe this is the photo you're talking about. George is down in amongst the people below but you can pick him out in an instant

JoshandGeorge.jpg

1987 - Pouring rain in prelims - once the Bucs were on the field...Mr. Parks does his salute, mace toss, and all that jazz (FYI he had an arm in a sling)......he climbs up on the podium and turns to the crowd....and in a pirate-like growl he proclaims "This is Buccaneer weather! These landlubbers don't stand a chance!" The crowd goes wild and the Bucs played a hell of a show...including a mace toss (and I think a tumble to catch it) leading the final company front in the last push of the show!

Amazing....one of my most vivid DCA memories ever!

Rest in Peace Mr. Parks! Eyes with pride!

thanks for the reminder... I was in the ge box on the panel that day... your memories brought back those same fond memories to me...

What a stunning loss, what a great personality, may he rest in peace. My sincerest condolences to the Parks family