Who is REALLY boycotting DCI?

BX5CM

I'm young. I've never marched without Bb/F horns, amplification was already used by other corps when I started so I was used to it by the time my corps did, and honestly I love how electronic instruments have turned out even though I was against it before. (Though to be specific, I don't like sound clips at all. Even if it's played on an electronic instrument I still want it to be played by an actual person, there's no talent in pre-recorded music.)

However if woodwinds are added to DCI I would no longer find shows entertaining. I hate marching bands. if I wanted to see one I would go to a USSBA competition, and I don't do that so why would I want to do it year-round?

MetalTones... thanks for your comment... however what I'm asking is how many people are ACTUALLY boycotting DCI right now? Most people say things like that and never follow through, because... (my opinion) when you get right down to it... it DOESN'T matter. It's just a different type of horn... and I think deep down most people realize that.

Now about the samples... I wonder if you've considered the difficulty involved in lining up that sample with the rest of the musicians on the field? Playing the sample may not require an actual person to put forth any musical ability, but don't you think that might be difficult and increase the listening and watching responsibilities for the people on the field quite a bit? Think about how your staff tells you guys not to listen to the pit during rehearsal... those pit performers are reacting to you guys on the field, they can adjust because they are human... but imagine how difficult it might be to make the same type of situation sound good when there *IS* no adjustment due to the fact that a machine is playing it, and not a person?

Edited by BX5CM

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MetalTones... thanks for your comment... however what I'm asking is how many people are ACTUALLY boycotting DCI right now? Most people say things like that and never follow through, because... (my opinion) when you get right down to it... it DOESN'T matter. It's just a different type of horn... and I think deep down most people realize that.

Now about the samples... I wonder if you've considered the difficulty involved in lining up that sample with the rest of the musicians on the field? Playing the sample may not require an actual person to put forth any musical ability, but don't you think that might be difficult and increase the listening and watching responsibilities for the people on the field quite a bit? Think about how your staff tells you guys not to listen to the pit during rehearsal... those pit performers are reacting to you guys on the field, they can adjust because they are human... but imagine how difficult it might be to make the same type of situation sound good when there *IS* no adjustment due to the fact that a machine is playing it, and not a person?

I do see what you mean, it is hard to line it up perfectly. I guess my real problem with it is that it's not an actual member playing or saying it. We have synths now, so playing anything at all shouldn't be a problem, and with voice Bluecoats and Cadets '07 pulled it off nicely so we should be able to do it now too. I just don't see any reason at all to use pre-recorded clips when it's MUCH more impressive and fun for an actual person to make the sound when they clearly have the capability to do so.

I do see what you mean, it is hard to line it up perfectly. I guess my real problem with it is that it's not an actual member playing or saying it. We have synths now, so playing anything at all shouldn't be a problem, and with voice Bluecoats and Cadets '07 pulled it off nicely so we should be able to do it now too. I just don't see any reason at all to use pre-recorded clips when it's MUCH more impressive and fun for an actual person to make the sound when they clearly have the capability to do so.

Just one example... Imagine doing a show about John F. Kennedy and actually using HIS voice instead of some kid who sounds nothing like him or worse... some kid who TRIES to sound like him and fails. I agree that it's not optimal in every setting... the Cadets 2007 show's use of voice was effective because of their subject matter... the show was ABOUT the kids' experience in music... so naturally it made sense for the kids to speak to the audience. Sampling is really just another option and another palette the designers can draw from.

Edited by BX5CM

Just one example... Imagine doing a show about John F. Kennedy and actually using HIS voice instead of some kid who sounds nothing like him or worse... some kid who TRIES to sound like him and fails. I agree that it's not optimal in every setting... the Cadets 2007 show's use of voice was effective because of their subject matter... the show was ABOUT the kids' experience in music... so naturally it made sense for the kids to speak to the audience. Sampling is really just another option and another palette the designers can draw from.

Alright, I get it. Sometimes voice clips do need to be used. I'd still prefer it if everything in the show was performed by the kids themselves, but we all have our opinions.

I don't go to shows unless I'm in them. When I'm there, I don't watch. I stopped trekking to finals and buying CD's around '95 or so, and my interest in the shows has waned since then. I went to the Quarters in the theater this year, and all it did was reaffirm that I'm not missing anything and that I don't like the direction DCI has gone.

Some of the funniest reviews come from people who hate dci but continue going to shows.

Oh, heavens yes. That reminds me of the question, "Why do you keep hitting yourself in the head with the hammer?, to which the person being question replied, "Because it feels so good when I stop."

Some of the funniest reviews come from people who hate dci but continue going to shows.

Sounds like Oakland Raiders football fans..... NJ Nets Basketball fans..... Pittsburgh Pirates Baseball fans..... Washington State Cougars Football fans..... to use Boos analogy, their teams keep hitting them in the head with a hammer, but they still go with hopes that it will stop someday and they'll feel better.

Edited by BRASSO