• 1971-1975
    • 1976-1980
    • 1981-1985
    • 1986-1990
    • 1991-1995
    • 1996-2000
    • 2001-2005
    • 2006-2010

I was exposed to Drum Corps by a lover...we would make love in the cabana to the sounds of Tiger of San Pedro and Stone Ground Seven...No well I was turning channels and ran across a PBS telecast of some local show in 1982. It had 27, Northstar and some other corps. Then I found an issue of DCW in the band room. Ken Kebold gave me all his old DCW and Drum Corps News. I marched in 84 and would have went back formy age out year but fell in love and had a kid...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...heh, dunno, it doesn't seem right to count my beginnings in a Boy Scout Drum and Bugle Corps (Troop 72!), but there we were learning from scratch in 1958! That troop turned into the Anaheim Kingsmen and the Velvet Knights! First "real" drum corps show I marched in was in 1963, a standstill held in the Nat. Guard Armory in Chavez Ravine (where Dodger Stadium is)...we really marched an opener and did the rest of what we knew in a concert formation of sorts. Wow, long time ago! But it seems like yesterday...NOT!

cg

Edited by chasgroh

First saw Warrington Scout Band in 1980. I was 10.

Joined straight away, on P/R soprano, marched my first show in '81, then stayed as the Band morphed into the Purple Phantoms D&B Corps. We marched both DCUK and BYBA shows for a few years.

Got to listen to DCI on a very heavily copied audio tape in the winter of '80.

Fell in love with DCI at the end of '83 when I first saw Bridgemen, Madison and Blue Devils on VHS. There was also a TV show called 'Bands of Gold' showing that years DCI finals.

Had a year out to play rugby in the middle of the '80's then joined the corps where I call home- The Warrington Corps.

Stopped marching at the end of the '89 season.

How I wish I would have got my act together and made the trip over to the states to try out with a DCI corps!!

Saw my first show on the computer when I was 14, marched that summer, won my first title at 17.

LMAO.... how time have changed. Joined my first corps Thanksgiving weekend 1973. That corps folded and joined my second corps early 1974. Didn't SEE my first show until June 1974. IOW saw my first show about half a year (and another corps) after I joined. :spitting:

Edit after seeing Jeffs post: First Jr corps I saw was at my first show (Hershey, PA 1974). A Class Z (real small local corps) from NJ(?) did the "waiting for the scores" exhibiton. Never remembered the name and they are not in the program. All I remember is 1/3 to 1/2 their show was from "1776" and they played the crap outta "The Less of Old Virginia". Few weeks later I saw the Troopers (2nd at DCI year before). :spitting:

Didn't vote.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Saw my first show on PBS in 1997. I fell in love then. Saw my first live drum corps show in 1998. Then started marching 1999-2002.

Edit after seeing Jeffs post: First Jr corps I saw was at my first show (Hershey, PA 1974). A Class Z (real small local corps) from NJ(?) did the "waiting for the scores" exhibiton. Never remembered the name and they are not in the program. All I remember is 1/3 to 1/2 their show was from "1776" and they played the crap outta "The Less of Old Virginia".

Could have been the Southern Tier Grenadiers (Vestal, NY). They had a very ambitious mid-sized hornline....and they did a show in Ridley the next day, so stopping in Hershey would have fit their schedule.

Could have been the Southern Tier Grenadiers (Vestal, NY). They had a very ambitious mid-sized hornline....and they did a show in Ridley the next day, so stopping in Hershey would have fit their schedule.

36 freakin' years later..... :spitting: Mid-sized sounds about right, any idea of how young they were as the corps looked really young. Really young = looked like some little kids out there. Got a good look as the concert side was sold out and we sat kinda low on the backfield stands. Great spot for watching the corps set up for their show.

LOL, and I'll take for granted you know what they played. (NO sarcasm) And corps could have spent the day at HersheyPark.

Edit: Just checked corpsreps for them in 1974, could be.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

My first exposure to drum corps was in 1984. I went to my 6th grade orientation and went home to tell my older brother, who was marching tuba in his high school band, that I saw a band practicing and they had 10 tubas!! Turned out it was Phantom Regiment there practicing for the 1984 Championships....oh so naive! I first marched when in 1991.

first year marching: 1988 - best year to start drum corps, ever! never saw it live before that - only on video.