• 1971-1975
    • 1976-1980
    • 1981-1985
    • 1986-1990
    • 1991-1995
    • 1996-2000
    • 2001-2005
    • 2006-2010

Had a great band director in high school and we watched tapes of PBS in the 1970's during class. We then took a band trip to Birmingham

for 1980 Finals and I was hooked. We had two band members marching 27th Lancers that year. 25 years later I went to 2005 DCI Finals

in Foxboro to see my son march.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a great band director in high school and we watched tapes of PBS in the 1970's during class. We then took a band trip to Birmingham

for 1980 Finals and I was hooked. We had two band members marching 27th Lancers that year. 25 years later I went to 2005 DCI Finals

in Foxboro to see my son march.

The only thing better than marching is watching your kid march.

You're a very lucky man.

I've got about 5 years to go before mine is ready...

I was first exposed to drum corps in the early 1990s. I was a middle school band kid. Stumbled across the DCI Finals PBS broadcast by accident while channel surfing one night. Fell in love.

Marched 2002-2003.

On staff from 2005-2007.

Still a fan today although it is getting harder. Every year I find less and less shows enjoyable.

I saw a bit of Crown and Phantom on the 2005 ESPN broadcast, but didn't think too much of it (besides "What is a marching band doing on ESPN?" haha). Band director that came my senior year marched Phantom in the 90's, so I briefly got in to it, but nothing happened due to that. Eventually, a good friend of mine got me back into corps my freshmen year of college, started watching scouts videos, attended my first and only live show finals 2008, and managed to convince my college saxophone professor to let me play tuba all summer two years in a row, and the rest is history.

managed to convince my college saxophone professor to let me play tuba all summer two years in a row, and the rest is history.

Same here. My saxophone professor was not happy when I said I was going to spend two summers playing marching band. Even worse was the fact that I was playing the God-awful MELLOPHONE (his quote, not mine).

But I do what I want. :smile:

I recall going to a local show (Salina, KS) in about 1974..Kingsmen were there. Had band commitments 74-76. Marched Salina Silver Sabres 1977. Wrote and shot for DCW 78-80. Been a fan ever since. Introduced my daughter to the activity in the last year or so. Don't know if she will march.