Where do all of the old horns and drums go?

Let's say I started a collection and it has a Slingerland TDR and an older Ludwig bass drum in it. I want to add some valve/rotor bugles - where do I look? I have kept my eye on eBay and so few come up.

Right here on DCP. Scroll down the forums till you see DCP Marketplace. :spitting:

I thought I saw a bunch of 'em in "Willie Wonka and the Old Horn Factory." :spitting:

Right here on DCP. Scroll down the forums till you see DCP Marketplace. :spitting:

I'm antique person and have seen on occasion elderly instruments in antique stores. Recently I found a rotor bugle and a 2 valve Olds soprano bugle that was mis-identified.

If 'horns up' isn't willing to part with some of his drum corps hardware, i'm sure he can provide you with good direction

If 'horns up' isn't willing to part with some of his drum corps hardware, i'm sure he can provide you with good direction

Not trying to be silly here or sarcastic, but Horns Up photo shows a G bugle made into a lamp. Many older instruments, whether brass, percussion, or woodwinds, end up in that manner or end up on the walls at restaurants.

Not trying to be silly here or sarcastic, but Horns Up photo shows a G bugle made into a lamp. Many older instruments, whether brass, percussion, or woodwinds, end up in that manner or end up on the walls at restaurants.

Unfortunately thats true. I rescued an old Conn trumpet off the wall of an applebees once. They just hung it up there to look nice. Plays just fine!

I have another friend who also replaced the missing rotor on his soprano this way. Just reached up, grabbed the rotor and took it home!

Edited by Soprano Martin

Unfortunately thats true. I rescued an old Conn trumpet off the wall of an applebees once. They just hung it up there to look nice. Plays just fine!

I have another friend who also replaced the missing rotor on his soprano this way. Just reached up, grabbed the rotor and took it home!

very sad when you find them like that. I recall several years ago sitting down with Cozy Baker for breakfast in a Cracker Barrel in VA on one of our CV excursions north. Sat down right under a vintage V/R - Cozy ended up standing on the chair checking the thing out - unfortunately it was impaled with so many screws in so many obscene places that there was no hope for rescue or refurbishing. I swear I overheard him quietly humming 'taps' as he wiped away the tears.....

personally, I'm currently dabbling in acquiring and reconditioning old brass instruments. finding them in a number of places nearby and on the Internet. pretty satisfying bringing them back to life if for no other reason than to keep them off the walls or out of the landfill.

Cracker Barrel - Washington, PA (2004 sighting) I asked, they wouldn't sell.... Should have seen the hostess' face when she realized I wasn't kidding....

Applebees - Rochester, NY (one near Henriette/Jefferson - 2007 sighting)

Antique Mall - Hanover, PA (few years back - price tag $180+ *YOW*)

All three appeared to be single valve Tenor/Frenchies (can't tell the diff and been a while)

Weird part was I saw the first two over DCA Weekend while a show was occurring.

2004 - won a contest so missed DCA but Friday night (during I&E) went out for dinner

2007 - skipped Alumni show due to not feeling too well

And the Antique Mall is about 2 miles from my practice site.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I have an old V/R sop I bought off of eBay a while back . . .right now, I let my son carry it around so he can have a "horn" (he's only 22 months) when we watch drum corps, but I'm thinking of converting it to a lamp for his room eventually.

Not to take the thread too far off topic . . .but I see at least a few people have experience with this. Sadly, I'm not very handy, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any tips, instructions or pointers regarding bugle lamp construction. :thumbup: