Your ten favorite moments in drum corps history

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the best I could do on short notice. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff - might be fun to go back through and watch some videos now...

1992 Crossmen - coming out of the drum break where the horns come back in - the snareline stick heights are completely vertical and uniform down the line - as a drummer that was intimidating!

1993 Star of Indiana - the red flags - the closer was the first part in this show where I truly felt I locked in to the music - the driving bass rhythm allowed your ear to latch on to it, so when they hit the big stabs and the red flags came out, it really drove home what they were trying to show you in the program.

1996 Phantom Regiment - the triangle poles - the first time they pulled those out and flipped them, there was an audible "wooooo" from the crowd.

1996 Phantom Regiment - the major chord - I don't care about audience reaction; for me it's the best discord / resolution in DCI history.

1997 Madison Scouts - the longest note - I love how the crowd goes nuts, then more nuts, as the note keeps on going.

2000 Cadets - the drum feature - saw it live in San Antonio, and their encore (that was *just* the drum feature) created a stampede on the upper deck of folks running up front to see it from above.

2002 Cavaliers - Fight Club - oh yeah, it's hokey, but it's oh-so-fun. It's easy to get in to, has a nice little rhythm to it, and oh yeah, I heard no less than three batteries in 2003 casually hack that little refrain in between runs of their own stuff.

2003 Phantom Regiment - the Sanctus reprise - everyone knew it was coming; logically, it fit perfectly into the show. But it was such a release from the tension that the Ostinato had created to that point that it allowed everyone to blow the emotion right off along with the corps. I don't think it was planned that way, but it sure worked.

2008 Phantom Regiment - stab stab stab - I was in that Finals crowd - never quite heard anything like it at a DCI show.

2008 Phantom Regiment - the announcement - again, since I was there...

Mike

In no particular order as favorites;

Marching on to the field the first time.

1972 The first time I saw Argonne and Des Plaines (it was the same contest in some little town in the midwest)

SCV Bottle Dance (any year)

1973 Troopers

1974 Anaheim Kingsmen - So Very Hard to Go (Tower of Power)

1976 Blue Devils Channel One Suite

1980 Holy Name Cadets (or whatever they go by today) One Voice

1988 Madison Scouts Malguena (it was hard to choose the year here)

1990 Star of Indiana

2004 Cavaliers

I really could go on and on here as I have so many favorite performances.

"Top Ten + One":

1960 "Double Header" show at NYC's Randal's Island. First time viewing of St Kevins Emerald Knights. :worthy:

1961 St CatherinesQueensmen, Billy Hightowers INCREDIBLE baritone solo. :worthy:

1962: "An Evening With the Corps at Carnagie Hall": THE "Greatest" drum corps "Concert" I ever saw!!! :smile:

The USAF's "Enlisted" Bolling AFB Drum Corps exibitions in Ct. Incredible talent all around. :worthy:

1962: Season's "Closer" at Union City NJ. St Catherines & "Loretto" disbanded right after the contest. :worthy:

1963: Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights. INCREDIBLE. :thumbup: Skyliners ending Hawthornes UD streak at Bridgeports "Barnum Festival".

1964. The "World Open". THE "Contest of the Sixties". St Kevins incredible "Comeback" and Finals performance :worthy: (They should have won). Casper Troopers STUNNED they audiene with their incredible marching. :worthy:

1971: "Drum Corps Week". CYO, World Open & Danny Thomas Invitational. Blue Rock & 27th Lancers wins there, and SCV's "Win No Caption" victory at VFW Nationals. 1971's VFW, Dallas THE greatest "Pre DCI" matchup. Almost ALL the top ten had beaten each other at least one time that season. :thumbup:

1972: DCA Finals. Any one of the "Top Five" (Hawthorne, New York, Reading, Rochester & Connecticut) could have won it.

1975: Hawthorne Muchachos & Madison Scouts at CYO Nationals. :worthy:

1978: DCI Finals. Any one of the "Top Five" (SCV, Phantom, BD, St Andrews, & Madison Scouts) could have won it.

1988: Madison Scouts at DCI. No comment necessary.... :worthy:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

1978 - Whenever 27th Lancers Flag Exchange During Drum Solo

1978 - Whenever 27th Lancers Rotating Company Front into the Dannyboy Push!

1978 - 1980 Spirit of Atlanta Opening HIT!!!!!!!!!

1979 BD - Larrie (Sop Soloist) being carried by the guard while playing!

1980 San Jose Raiders (My Baritone Solo LOL) Artistry in Rythym

1981 BD - Opening the show with a company front on the front sideline and that initial HIT was awesome!

1982 BD - The Perfect Storm of a Season

1983 BD - My favorite Version of OMTCC

1984 BD - The Best Concert Piece in History! La Fiesta... (French Horn Solo should have been Baritone)

2008 PR - I AM SPARTICUS!!!

1978 - Whenever 27th Lancers Flag Exchange During Drum Solo

1978 - Whenever 27th Lancers Rotating Company Front into the Dannyboy Push!

Agree with these, but '78 was the year they went with the pom-pom ending and not Danny Boy. I've heard that the corps didn't care for the pom-pom's but they used them again in '82 just to make sure.

I FORGIVE the young people on this board for not knowing what the 1983 Garfield Cadets "Z-pull" is. The ancient videos simply do not do it justice.

But for you old folks WHO WERE THERE AND EXPERIENCED IT, there is NO EXCUSE for not having mentioned it before now.

Can I get an "amen?" :smile:

I FORGIVE the young people on this board for not knowing what the 1983 Garfield Cadets "Z-pull" is. The ancient videos simply do not do it justice.

But for you old folks WHO WERE THERE AND EXPERIENCED IT, there is NO EXCUSE for not having mentioned it before now.

Can I get an "amen?" :thumbup:

Amen.

Can't disagree at all. That was indeed one of those moments where you could easily recognize that you were seeing something that was changing the activity. Many things left OFF my top 10... Blue Devils too many things to list, SCV the same, Z-pull, some forgotten things like the sharp looks of some that were favorites (ie: Suncoast Sound) ... so many great things over the years. :smile: