What Singer, Arranger, Musician, Composer Was.....

Definitely! "Hardware Store" by Weird Al and his take on Bohemian Rhapsody--don't really need the lyrics for that one, just do it as a polka!

"Hardware Store" would be awesome....even as an exercise...LOTS of listening required. In fact, I once thought o arranging it for that purpose, but didn't feel like burning my brain cells trying to pick stuff out....if I ever get around to getting such a show together, I'd have to ask Al for an electronic version that I coule work from.

Or even better...if it was for a Sr corps, see if he'd like to try his hand at arranging...or find a way to include him in the show!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're forgetting Kenton, and particularly Johnny Richards. The Kenton early 60's Neophonic band/"Mellophone Band" really provided a prototype sound for the future.

Sam-- You get my PM? Hope I didn't irk you. Didn't mean to.

Nope....I just never got around to replying to it...not irked at all.

I would LOVE to have a recording of the original "Latin Implosion" That's the only brass chart that I don't have the source for....Jack Meehan was offering cassettes of our source music during the season, but idiot that I was, I didn't spend the money on it....always regretted that.

Nope....I just never got around to replying to it...not irked at all.

I would LOVE to have a recording of the original "Latin Implosion" That's the only brass chart that I don't have the source for....Jack Meehan was offering cassettes of our source music during the season, but idiot that I was, I didn't spend the money on it....always regretted that.

My guess is "Latin Implosion" was done by TSU's band. I lucked into an alumni who had a lot of one of the LP's available on E-Bay and grabbed one, but that piece isn't on it. To top it off, my turntable went on the fritz not long after I snagged that album... It's also not on the "A Head of Time" CD that was a supplement to the Levy Documentary nor was it on the US Army Jazz Band's Hank Levy tribute CD.

It's not on any of my Ellis stuff nor Kenton, I'm thinking it had to be a Towson chart or one he did on commission for someone else.

I'll try and do some internet research, and if that fails, I'll see if I can dig an answer out of TSU. I think I have a contact there that should be glad to help me out on a query.

Thinking about Hank Levy..., BD did "Latin Implosion", Pegasus" and "Chain Reaction". Boston BITD did "Time for a Change". Supposedly, someone did "Latintensity", but I can't find a match on Corpsreps. Some other corps have a few other things, but those corps aren't as well known. Talk about a composer who really deserved more fame than he got. great person, great educator, and his stuff flat out ROCKS.

I would say Mangione was very influentual back in the 70's and early 80's.

gershwin

Edited by jras

gotta include Gershwin...Violent Femmes not so much

gershwin

Copland ...

:-)

Copland ...

:-)

Sondheim :tongue: