New Championships Week format

I'm in all the way, the way I've always watched corps shows.

I'll catch all the local shows I can which is usually 1 or 2, and I'll catch a G8 event if it's within a few driving hours of where I live.

I've never been a finals guy, because I can't stand the snobby know-it-all corps "fans" who are recent age-outs who scream like idiots during the soft sections of ONLY the top corps, trying to become immortalized on the DCI recordings. I know I'm right about that because people don't do that at semis or quarters, and never on lower placing corps.

Next year will be year 31 for me. I am now, and have always been, just a fan, with no corps affiliation whatsoever.

And that makes me special. :tongue:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In person, Quarters is my favorite day. Maybe the top few will score a little bit higher two days later, but I'm in it for quantity as much as quality. I have NEVER been to a show with more than 25 corps. 40....ya, you're going to need to pick me up off the floor because I'll be DRUNK on drum corps!

I might be drunk, but only because there's no way i'll make it through 40 straight shows without some beer. Thats a lot of drum corps, even for a big fan.

So, the top eight will have to work on special performances( ie: schlock) as well as refining and perfecting their competitive show ?? What a bunch of nonsense.

G

They've already been doing that for the special finale performances at major events.

They've already been doing that for the special finale performances at major events.

And those who cant seem to get their shows on the field as it is until after tour has already started?

And those who cant seem to get their shows on the field as it is until after tour has already started?

They now have added incentive, especially since they have ownership of the idea. I'm interested in the possibilities and trust that what will be presented will be exciting and of the highest quality.

This sounds great! I will have to hear more details but I am already excited for next season.

Good work DCI

Well, since no one else has noticed, looks like I'll be the one to rain on our parade. Yes, it is good news that we won't have a civil war between the G7 G8 and the rest of DCI. Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing world-class and open-class meet on the contest field again. I'll join you in that parade....but I'll be bringing my umbrella, because there's a very important detail that just got thrown under the bus.

Growth.

Remember that DCI 5-year plan? All that talk about growing the fan base, growing the participant base, growing the number of corps? Well, that's all we have of that now....memories. Forty corps is the absolute limit that a single-round, single-day DCI contest can accomodate. Committing to this format change sends a clear signal that DCI is not planning for ever having more than 40 corps at DCI Championships....even though the 39 we had this year was an all-time low.

I don't yet know what other compromises took place in the events of the past few days....but I see that the DCI business plan, ratified just one year ago by many of the same people in the meeting room this week, has now become just another one of those "compromises". Chicken Little wins again.

The sky is falling!

Too bad they spent all that time on the stone tablets. If only these changes were recorded somehow where they could be altered . . . :laughing:

I applaud DCI for their decision to shake things up a little. I look forward to more details about the "experimental" events.

I see this as the start of the G8... but overall, I'm not sure if I'll like it. :laughing: