New Championships Week format

Agreed for earlier season, it makes more sense to do prior season. But once regionals start, its not that hard to come up with poDssible ideas. The corps dont spread out incredibly much.

For example... how about:

Minneapolis regional saturday.

Somewhere in between (sun-tues likely) Kansas City top 8 show based on MN results.

San Antonio Regional Saturday

Murfreesboro Thurs\fri, top 8 show based on San Antonio results

Atlanta Regional Saturday

East Coast g8 show(s) (DC?) thurs

Allentown fri\sat

Finals

For corps to commit to that many open possibilities, they would have to be ready to not perform at any shows held on the same dates. That makes it difficult to set up housing in advance and generate ticket sales at various other shows. Murfreesboro is an exception for corps knowing for sure that they will be there. Any number of extra shows like that would be very confusing for housing and non-top-eight shows ticket sales.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been movement each of the last few years, so that's not completely true. May not have been big movement, but a corps did win a few years ago after coming in 2nd in prelims and semis, and there has been movement in other spots as well. That same philosophy can be used with World Class. Why have 3 rounds if there isn't much movement between them?

The point is it's about being able to say you were a DCI Finalist in your class, and having the experience of achieving that status and being able to call yourself a finalist.

It affects all those kids and corps who would have been able to say they were a finalist and now can't.

now everyone has the shot at 3 rounds. and you spoke of being a finalist, not a medalist...i spoke of being a finalist.

this is what grates me...we see OC people on here ##### that they get treated as second class, ######## step children. here it is, a way for them to shine just like they used to have.....and now they want to ##### about it.

I love OC and the former D2/3, but sometimes I wonder if they did more to help themselves and less #####ing about how they feel so ignored, if maybe they'd see good results.

The acoustics in Jackson '93 and Kansas City '88 were so good I could hear the sweat pouring off my body and splashing on the bleachers.

me too...and i didn't mind. I'll take some heat to not hear the last corps while the current corps is on the field

For corps to commit to that many open possibilities, they would have to be ready to not perform at any shows held on the same dates. That makes it difficult to set up housing in advance and generate ticket sales at various other shows. Murfreesboro is an exception for corps knowing for sure that they will be there. Any number of extra shows like that would be very confusing for housing and non-top-eight shows ticket sales.

or you just have it so the housing site knows there will be a corps coming (for instance, the 9th place corps will be going coming to you), the corps that makes 8th goes to the feature show, the corps that makes 9th goes to the other one.

or you just have it so the housing site knows there will be a corps coming (for instance, the 9th place corps will be going coming to you), the corps that makes 8th goes to the feature show, the corps that makes 9th goes to the other one.

It still would make it impossible for show promoters to advertise certain corps. And corps send out scouts to check out the housing. What one corps wants in a rehearsal site may not be what another corps wants.

Gave the DCI article a read.

Nowhere did I see "Drum corps is no longer going to be a great life changing experience for kids." Therefore, I am not too concerned with any of this

Gave the DCI article a read.

Nowhere did I see "Drum corps is no longer going to be a great life changing experience for kids." Therefore, I am not too concerned with any of this

:laughing:

now everyone has the shot at 3 rounds. and you spoke of being a finalist, not a medalist...i spoke of being a finalist.

this is what grates me...we see OC people on here ##### that they get treated as second class, ######## step children. here it is, a way for them to shine just like they used to have.....and now they want to ##### about it.

I love OC and the former D2/3, but sometimes I wonder if they did more to help themselves and less #####ing about how they feel so ignored, if maybe they'd see good results.

I've never complained about OC or Div 2/3 being treated as second class, you can check. These are my first posts on the issue. My issue is not the amount of rounds they get to perform with the WC, it's about the opportunity to achieve finalist status in Open Class, or in this case lack there of.

Edited by idel

This sounds like a good compromise. I am excited about possibly seeing more shows next year. Maybe with some of the "experimental non-judged performances" corps can gear some shows to the fans more or possibly have a "fan geared" (where it COULD be fun to throw in oh say a hornline in the key of G) show and seperate contest show. At any rate more DCI shows mean more money for the Corps (even if it is just the top 8) and more exposure for Drum Corps so I'M IN!