If you had it your way...

You didn't go this year to DCA's. Have you been going to the alumni show every year when you are up there? Have you talked to the performers and the spectators? I'm not sure where you are getting the perception it isn't a good fit. Other than in your mind we're all hungover. :laughing:

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as that 10:00 start time stinks, it's probably the best of a bad situation.

Now I'll go back to the corner. (I'm practicing)

Fair enough. If everyone is happy with it,,leave it alone.

Now on to the question at hand.... Liz and others are absolutely right. Large numbers of alumni corps members jump on the road immediately after the scores for the alumni show are announced - for drives of four, five, or six hours. To delay the start of the alumni show until 2:00 or so would be an inconvenience for them - to say the least.

Thanks. Didn't want people to think that as a 5 year member who took 1 summer off I was pulling these "members leave right afterwards" comments out of my ###.....

:laughing:

Nope we do not.

Now on to the question at hand.... Liz and others are absolutely right. Large numbers of alumni corps members jump on the road immediately after the scores for the alumni show are announced - for drives of four, five, or six hours. To delay the start of the alumni show until 2:00 or so would be an inconvenience for them - to say the least.

"... after the scores for the Alumni show are announced"? Really!?

Boy, some folks are probably STILL there!

(Grin)

Just funnin' ya, buddy...

question: do the alumni corpsmembers or the members of corps who don't make finals get a pass to the show?

I thought of this while reading about the number of alumni folks who leave.

No, John. Alumni members don't get passes to any of the shows. For the past six years I've purchased two tix to each of the three shows - even though (except for this year) I was in all three. I'm just hedging my bets regarding a bad knee or a bad ankle or some other physical problem. If I don't need them, they're quite easy to pass along.

gotcha, Liz. thanks. I understand why DCA can't really do that, but it does probably explain why most folks leave, including the drives and being with family stuff, too.

I'd think even then you would have many members go home. We had members who didn't want to do DCA at all. They were vocal about it. The ones who thought it was important were equally as vocal. I made the choice to go up all 4 days and 3 nights while I was in the corps. Just as I did and now do again not marching. It's what I want to do. BUT the idea of a 40 hour trip and only 1 night of hotel probably is alluring to many people, especially retirees on a budget.

gotcha, Liz. thanks. I understand why DCA can't really do that, but it does probably explain why most folks leave, including the drives and being with family stuff, too.

well, and some folks just want the weekend their alumni corps schedule gives them and that's it. Many of them got into the alumni side because it isn't so time consuming.

Trust me, my corps discussed the dreaded parade word this year. I understand the financial benefits, but my back never wants to carry a drum again, so I'm very torn...I want to help the corps financially, but I don't want to #### my back up further and add even more time away from home to an already busy schedule.