If you had it your way...

I agree but I think that expenses are so great that prices have to be that high.

Agreed and I was around when gas prices about tripled and killed a lot of local corps budgets. At least equipment was fairly reasonable then. Today, what isn't expensive as Hell in teh DC world. If DCI and DCI drop prices too much, the corps will not get an monetary help from the circuits.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but John, the crowds are different, and it does take away revenue from the Open and A corps. it's kind of a no win

I thought all the alumni corps headed out of town right after the Alumni show? did we not cover this?

I agree but I think that expenses are so great that prices have to be that high.

understood................I have often pondered how a local could justify the cost of tickets,.....................the logistics of special local pricing is a problem for sure,...................maybe drastically reduced pricing for everyone with a local emphasis a week os so prior to finals might somehow work,...................and then back to regular pricing Saturday morning,...................or something,...................

Empty seats already generate zero revenue. And I am GUESSING that any loss in revenue from the small number of alums who now buy a ticket but will be willing to sit in the endzone for free will be offset by the potential sales that Jim mentions above. Plus those folks who already buy their ticket in advance to get choice seating in 'the zone' will more likely continue to do so. And you will still have a number of folks pass on the freebies anyway, and head for home for their own personal reasons.

To add: I am also not naive to believe that giving endzone access prevents folks from improving their vantage point either - but again, an empty seat nets zero dollars from the first corps' stepoff until the scores are announced, regardless where it is in the stadium.

IMO it would be more equitable to the majority if not all of the weekend's other performing members. So to answer the original question, I think DCA's format is perfect, but this would be my only very small suggestion for improvement.

Great suggestion. Lets see how far it goes.

understood................I have often pondered how a local could justify the cost of tickets,.....................the logistics of special local pricing is a problem for sure,...................maybe drastically reduced pricing for everyone with a local emphasis a week os so prior to finals might somehow work,...................and then back to regular pricing Saturday morning,...................or something,...................

Maybe even some emphasis in the local advertizing for the alumni show which is absolutely the best value in terms of ticket pricing for the weekend,.............

I thought all the alumni corps headed out of town right after the Alumni show? did we not cover this?

Reread it again Ed. No one said all. The really really large amount of the members go home. When I was in Bridgemen, I'd say 80% didn't attend finals.

we did, but it's clear you didn't pay attention.

Some do. Some don't.

and if you give freebies, you cut into the corps' take at either show.

that was my issue with the Winston Slaem July show. what uninitiated fan is going to drop $40 for something they know about?

they were more likely across the street at the truck pull

Reread it again Ed. No one said all. The really really large amount of the members go home. When I was in Bridgemen, I'd say 80% didn't attend finals.

And that's fine. It's my guess that a large number of competing corps members wouldn't attend the alumni show either, if the schedule allowed. I know I wouldn't go, even if you gave me tickets.

If I had it my way (as the OP stated) I would let Allen Beull run the Championships every year!