What if there were no judging?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird....I just wrote a paper on this.

I don't know if the activity would die. I think we'd all panic at first, then realize it would be ok....

Generally when I go to a show, I know the placement order (ESPECIALLY at the SoCal shows). Surprises don't happen nearly as often, especially at the top where we all want to see them. But I still go to the shows, as do a lot of people, so clearly placement doesn't matter as much to us as we'd like to think.

Honestly, I think we all go because we love the activity and we want to be entertained. And I think corps would take a lot more risks to be entertaining if there were no placements.

Drum Corps should eliminate judged competition.

Corps should all do exhibitions.

If done right, Marchers could pay thousands of dollars each summer to work hard, sleep on gym floors, ride on busses thousands of miles, to do 35 wonderful exhibitions in 7 weeks. They'll like the motivation better that summer exhibitions provides too.

Think about the possibilities. Fans could follow the corps right from the parade in the town, right into the stadium field where the Corps will all do a field show exhibition. Show sponsors will pay all Corps the same money. That's fair and just. Corps will get better too because they will self evaluate each exhibition that they do. When the last Corps does their exhibition, all Corps could come onto the field in retreat, hold hands with one another, and sing a toast to the crowd, the crowd will respond in cheers for all, and everybody goes home happy ! Word will spread to the next town about what a special treat this will be everybody ! DCI could do these stadium exhibitions for years and years ! It'll be MUCH better than the halftime exhibitions we see now at football games too..... because they'll be MORE units !

I'm also going to write a paper on this too. Weird, huh ?

Edited by BRASSO

it would die...

too much of today's society is "win win win". Just by looking at how many people tryout for the "winning" corps shows this.

I am an extraordinarily competitive person.

I couldn't care less what any adjudicator has to say about my performance or my corps.

If you see in me a paradox that you can not resolve, then that is unfortunate. If you truly understand this statement, then there is no further explanation that you need from me.

I also know that I am not alone in the way that I think.

here's what would kill it....without winners to use in ads, sponsors would dry up.

which means revenues and freebies or discounted equipment deals would dry up.

The activity would die completely ......... no doubt about it. Without competition .. there will be no fans. It would basically end up like most marching band shows in Podunkville. Band parents show up with their cowbells and train whistles and cheer on their team and then leave the stands the second they are done. No one is going to pay $35 or even $20 for an exhibition format. I might go if it were $10 .. but that's my limit.

agreed. The competition really makes this real. We would be limited to die hards fans and it would end up like going to a concert of a not so popular group.

When the last Corps does their exhibition, all Corps could come onto the field in retreat, hold hands with one another, and sing a toast to the crowd...

kumbaya.gif

Drum Corps should eliminate judged competition.

Corps should all do exhibitions.

If done right, Marchers could pay thousands of dollars each summer to work hard, sleep on gym floors, ride on busses thousands of miles, to do 35 wonderful exhibitions in 7 weeks. They'll like the motivation better that summer exhibitions provides too.

Think about the possibilities. Fans could follow the corps right from the parade in the town, right into the stadium field where the Corps will all do a field show exhibition. Show sponsors will pay all Corps the same money. That's fair and just. Corps will get better too because they will self evaluate each exhibition that they do. When the last Corps does their exhibition, all Corps could come onto the field in retreat, hold hands with one another, and sing a toast to the crowd, the crowd will respond in cheers for all, and everybody goes home happy ! Word will spread to the next town about what a special treat this will be everybody ! DCI could do these stadium exhibitions for years and years ! It'll be MUCH better than the halftime exhibitions we see now at football games too..... because they'll be MORE units !

I'm also going to write a paper on this too. Weird, huh ?

Preschool makes you write papers? Sounds rough. I appreciate the sarcasm, but it felt a little forced. Read more Jonathan Swift and try again. :tongue:

I'm not saying competition needs go away, but if it did it would not necessarily be a bad thing. As it is corps do stuff that isn't judged now, and they do a great job with it. It's a shame you don't find this entertaining and worthwhile. You're missing out on a big chunk of the activity.