New "Local" Drum Corps Circuit?

Now this new circuit comes along which embodies many of the ideals people like Scott Stewart have been talking about for decades. My belief is that money remains the largest barrier to entry and operation to new enterprises. This new organization should concentrate on building organizations that dont need endowments just to get off the ground. Rules should reflect this commitment to theis simplified model. DCNA should represent at least in a small way, a step back to simpler times.

I agree about the money. Not being much of a fiscal wizard, I wonder if it would be possible to set-up something like a trust fund (in conjunction with a reputable National level bank) for this organization that could then grant seed and operations funds (with accountability!). It would be nice if you could donate a portion on a monthly basis and just have it electronically withdrawn.

One other thing, would have to happen. I think the culture of drum corps would have to change in order to support this venture. Folks would have to be willing to go to a show of hornlines with circa 20 brass and more basic, perhaps even struggling percussion sections. I think DCA folks could make the transition easily, but DCI fans... Not so sure.

Ironically, DCNA will be harking back to drum corps roots, but people are so used to (Either DCI or BOA) the spectacle of synth laden, guitar wielding, blast and run music that it would really take people having a different mindset in order to attract fans. But I have faith that this COULD WORK!!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My original post was not meant to belittle anything about this new circuit. I think this is a great idea. My concern was that by posting this on the DCI web site, they have essentially ceded responsibility of smaller, grassroots drum corps to this new organization. And I think that is sad. DCI has the tools and ability to promote small, local corps - but apparently they have decided not to.

OK..... what you said here clarifies what you said earlier. Thanks.

I agree about the money. Not being much of a fiscal wizard, I wonder if it would be possible to set-up something like a trust fund (in conjunction with a reputable National level bank) for this organization that could then grant seed and operations funds (with accountability!). It would be nice if you could donate a portion on a monthly basis and just have it electronically withdrawn.

One other thing, would have to happen. I think the culture of drum corps would have to change in order to support this venture. Folks would have to be willing to go to a show of hornlines with circa 20 brass and more basic, perhaps even struggling percussion sections. I think DCA folks could make the transition easily, but DCI fans... Not so sure.

Ironically, DCNA will be harking back to drum corps roots, but people are so used to (Either DCI or BOA) the spectacle of synth laden, guitar wielding, blast and run music that it would really take people having a different mindset in order to attract fans. But I have faith that this COULD WORK!!!

Set aside the emotional and musical differences many of us have with some of the changes in drum corps the last few years. Financially, massive loads of props not only cost $ to produce but they have to be hauled around, increasing the transportation and fuel budgets. The same for runaway pits. Xylophones and marimbas are expensive, electronics are expensive and heavy. Bringing the maximum member limit back down to 125/128 reduces the number of buses needed. Going to a regional system reduces travel. Changes in all of these areas would reduce costs substantially and (I believe) you still end up with a quality show on the field. We are also looking into ways to reduce instrument costs through rent to own programs as opposed to purchasing sets of horns or drums. Many of these ideas will be discussed at our inaugural meeting in Philly. BUT interest in the Midwest is very important to me, a kid from Kansas. If you can't be in Philly Nov 13th I'd like to have more meetings elsewhere, this is just the start.

Set aside the emotional and musical differences many of us have with some of the changes in drum corps the last few years. Financially, massive loads of props not only cost $ to produce but they have to be hauled around, increasing the transportation and fuel budgets. The same for runaway pits. Xylophones and marimbas are expensive, electronics are expensive and heavy. Bringing the maximum member limit back down to 125/128 reduces the number of buses needed. Going to a regional system reduces travel. Changes in all of these areas would reduce costs substantially and (I believe) you still end up with a quality show on the field. We are also looking into ways to reduce instrument costs through rent to own programs as opposed to purchasing sets of horns or drums. Many of these ideas will be discussed at our inaugural meeting in Philly. BUT interest in the Midwest is very important to me, a kid from Kansas. If you can't be in Philly Nov 13th I'd like to have more meetings elsewhere, this is just the start.

There is no way to determine conclusively why people stopped coming but my observation is that as every new and expensive rule change hit, changes that as usual rewarded the top groups who pushed for these changes, more and more corps started dropping off the map. Every move DCI and the top corps made supposedly to revitalize the activity had the opposite effect. The activity became unrecognizable to the legions of legacy fans, small markets stopped being able to support shows which in turn choked off the flow of interested young kids into the activity. If you are interested in marching a top 12 DCI corps today, you are likely a college student, you are more likely to be in the performing arts and you have the wherewithall to pay a few thousand dollars while earning none for the better part of the year. You have to be willing and able to travel great distances since most DCI corps are "All Star" groups and the fact you come from the community the group is supposed to be from means nothing.

If DCNA can turn back the clock just a couple ticks it might reverse that trend. By that I mean, smaller pits, no amps or synths and rules that dont penalize groups for not having those things. Its hard to put the toothpaste back into the tube I realize, but since almost no one knows what drum corps is in the real world, they wont miss the Amps and synths and stuff.

Regardless, I fail to see the negatives in this nascent idea. Good for them, IMO.

I totally agree. At this point in time, ANY efforts to bring drum corps to more people are welcome. Grass roots efforts (as this one seems to be) start slow with little funding, small/nill marketing budgets, etc and (hopefully) build momentum based on the people in the trenches doing the grunt work and making a name for their organization. There have been PLENTY of not-as-professional-looking websites (DCI's website for years was pretty amateur looking, as was DCM's, and DCW and DCA's up until fairly recently) that improve with time, and while it's easy in this day and age to criticize appearances what's important is that this organization DOES have a presence in some way and is attracting attention.

Here's hoping this organization grows and flourishes

This could be a problem, but an interesting question to me would be IS there an entirely different fan base/market for smaller "non-spectacled" drum corps shows/programs? A lot of the same people who sit back and admire Bandettes, or some other small corps do so in a way easily seen as patronizing, while enthusiasm for Cadets or Blue Devils is substantially more due to upper level performance & design. I would be interested in seeing if a smaller, localized drum corps circuit with shows designed more for the "simple-minded" (for lack of a better term: apologies to those who take offense, I'm more implying people who don't care for intricate story lines or themes, electronics, props, etc and only want to see music and drill) could survive in the modern drum corps landscape.

Folks would have to be willing to go to a show of hornlines with circa 20 brass and more basic, perhaps even struggling percussion sections. I think DCA folks could make the transition easily, but DCI fans... Not so sure.

I'd argue that for the concept to really work, there has to be a different framework for what's considered "good" altogether. Because I have no interest in watching struggling anything, and very few performers what to be in a group that's 'struggling.' Small versions of the current style of drum corps shows, played on a football field sized stage, wouldn't break away from the prevailing concepts that have made small corps so difficult to work with in the first place.

If the size limitations are realistic (less than 60, imho), the 'stage' is sized appropriately for smaller groups, and the judging criteria rewards execution and effect evenly (so even those who can't quite execute as well as others can still score well if they can sell their product), there's a chance this can work. But I'd argue that fewer programming rules would be better rather than more programming rules; if anyone who has what they think is a sellable idea can put it on the field, you open the floor up to a wider array of styles and concepts, and encourage creative thinking across the board.

Again, the model here shouldn't be drum corps as we've known it - that has demonstrably failed. The success is WGI, since they've proven capable of providing frameworks that allow for expansion of their activity while keeping smaller, less-well funded groups competitive. It should be tailored not for what drum corps dinos want, but for what current generation performers would think was cool. And old-timey drum corps is decidedly not what the average 16 year old is interested in doing. If you're not going to give him or her a DCI Finalist experience, you have to provided an alternative that has its own cool factor - and that would mean giving the corps in an alternative format the ability to do some things that the Devils and Cadets can't do.

You can't just hand them the '72 Pinto and say "here, it was good enough for me!" and expect them to get interested. You have to give them the keys to something much more exciting.

Edited by mobrien

The success is WGI, since they've proven capable of providing frameworks that allow for expansion of their activity while keeping smaller, less-well funded groups competitive.

A bigger reason WGI "succeeds" is because their circuit is largely populated by tax-subsidized scholastic groups.

A bigger reason WGI "succeeds" is because their circuit is largely populated by tax-subsidized scholastic groups.

While practice space might be subsidized (many programs still struggle with getting gym space in their own district) and perhaps transportation to local shows (but certainly not to WGI events) I think you're making too much of this. Those scholastic programs are largely if not wholly funded by booster programs *not* school districts.

That being said, I agree that scholastic units *are* the bread and butter of WGI.

Edited by corpsband

Interesting that this thread is rapidly becoming "let's fix what's wrong with DCI today." This is a model bound for certain failure. My hope is that DNCA will stay true to it's vision of bringing the drum corps experience to an entirely different group of kids. There's potential in that idea; our winterguard has run a program with a local boys & girls club for a number of years. Based on that experience I think the DCNA *could* work. But only if it has a very clear vision about it's goals; there are way too many axes lined up in the wings ready for grinding. I could see this rapidly devolving into a quagmire of gargantuan proportions.

So clearly define your mission and goals and test every "proposal" against them. It could definitely be something wonderful.