Top Audition Tips

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any top audition tips that they think has gave them the upper hand whilst auditioning for a corps? In no way am I trying to "cheat", I just don't have much knowledge of the audition process.

I'm strongly considering auditioning for my age out in a couple years time.

Cheers

Edited by Scatfish

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short version of my story (For what it's worth)

I went to a "top 5" corps to audition. Musically I was very prepared and I thought played well enough to make the corps.

ADVICE #1

Be in shape. I don't mean be skinny. You can easily be fat or somewhat overweight and march any corps you want. You need to be physically in good enough shape to be able to run for 15 minutes without stopping. I couldn't do this at the "top 5" corps that I auditioned for and I was told point blank that my name was written down when I started walking for a minute and I did not make the corps. So if you are auditioning, I would suggest you go running most days from now until you audition.

ADVICE #2

If you don't make it, don't let it stop you from marching. I didn't make the "top 5" corps so I went to a "usually finalist" corps' second camp and marched. It will take some effort (calling/e-mailing the director and telling them your story, etc...) but if you want to march, there's no reason you can't.

By the way, I had the best time of my life at the corps I marched and wouldn't have traded it for anything.

Edited by jblamb1401

The best advice I think anyone can give you if you want to make your "dream corps" is not to wait until your age out year to try out, unless you are absolutely sure your talent is up to par to the the spot you want.

I'll be definately working on fitness levels and shedding some weight before I go and i've got plenty of time to do that. Hopefully if it don't go succesfull then I can find another place somewhere else but its just gonna hard trying to sort that out especially being over in the UK.

The best advice I think anyone can give you if you want to make your "dream corps" is not to wait until your age out year to try out, unless you are absolutely sure your talent is up to par to the the spot you want.

I'm not considering auditioning for a top 5 corps. Saying that in the time from now to when I audition they could be up there. But the reason why I am considering it for my age out is because I am at university for two years now, I've also took into consideration taking alot of time to get up to the standard to try my hardest to get in.

If it don't happen it don't happen but in the end of the day I would of put the effort in to try and that would still mean something.

I'm not considering auditioning for a top 5 corps. Saying that in the time from now to when I audition they could be up there. But the reason why I am considering it for my age out is because I am at university for two years now, I've also took into consideration taking alot of time to get up to the standard to try my hardest to get in.

If it don't happen it don't happen but in the end of the day I would of put the effort in to try and that would still mean something.

With that attitude, you'll go far! :lol:

-Show that you get a long with the staff and vets that you'll meet. They don't want somebody who looks too "overwhelmed" by the audition process plus being friendly will ease a lot of the tension! Make sure you don't isolate yourself during meals and when appropriate stay engaged in the people around during rehearsal.

-Be confident.

-Showing that you have a strong work ethic is better than having a perfect auditon.

-If you're going to two or more camps to audition for a corps make sure you improve! Showing a huge improvement between camps is a great way to show the staff that you mean business... and if you aren't good enough now in the winter... chances are you will be come the summer.

-Show that you get a long with the staff and vets that you'll meet. They don't want somebody who looks too "overwhelmed" by the audition process plus being friendly will ease a lot of the tension! Make sure you don't isolate yourself during meals and when appropriate stay engaged in the people around during rehearsal.

-Be confident.

-Showing that you have a strong work ethic is better than having a perfect auditon.

-If you're going to two or more camps to audition for a corps make sure you improve! Showing a huge improvement between camps is a great way to show the staff that you mean business... and if you aren't good enough now in the winter... chances are you will be come the summer.

Cheers, I'm very lucky to have the staff that I have at my home corps. For example my caption head is alumni at the corps I want to audition at, so he knows how hard it is to do and so far from being taught by him I feel i've improved alot especially this year with the America tour etc.

Don't suck.

Don't suck.

Cheers mate, thanks for the help.

Its a bit obvious that one though as I wouldn't be making a 4000+ mile trip to make a fool of myself. Also I'd go over giving all I got as I wouldn't want to be wasting anyones time.