What would happen if...

This might seem like a dumb nooby question, but I am curious. What would happen if two corps picked some of the same music to get arranged and put into their shows? With staff members of corps collaborating on 2011 programs right now, its not fully released to everyone what they will be doing until spring, what would happen if they found out another corps picked the exact same piece(s)? Has this happened before? Or does DCI ask staff what they are planning on so this never happens?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might seem like a dumb nooby question, but I am curious. What would happen if two corps picked some of the same music to get arranged and put into their shows? With staff members of corps collaborating on 2011 programs right now, its not fully released to everyone what they will be doing until spring, what would happen if they found out another corps picked the exact same piece(s)? Has this happened before? Or does DCI ask staff what they are planning on so this never happens?

It's happened before ... I think '78 or '79 there were a handful of corps all playing "Children of Sanchez", and '87 or '88 there was a Carmina Burana fest.

it's happened a few times. no big thing, each corps does it's best

Thats cool, I didnt know that it had ever happened before. Because of the chance of picking selections that another corps might pick, do you think staff will go to more obscure music to avoid conflicts?

i doubt it. a lot of times a certain gets hot...it's new, a band did it that people loved, and it happens. didnt 2 corps play asphalt cocktail last year?

Dutch Boy and Madison '91.

To my knowledge DCI does not get involved in the programming of its member corps. Any conspiracy theorists out there? :thumbup:

peace,

Fred O.

I think 3-4 corps were doing firebird in 07

i doubt it. a lot of times a certain gets hot...it's new, a band did it that people loved, and it happens. didnt 2 corps play asphalt cocktail last year?

If I'm remembering it right, BD and the Bluecoats both wanted Asphalt Cocktail, but Blu won out.

As for the topic, Crown and Blue Knights both played Nimrod this past summer. I'm not 100% sure it was BK, as I never actually saw their show, but I know someone did it, I heard it in the lot a few times.