How does this community feel about fielding cymbals?

Really, that's your argument? Having a pit orchestra with no drill or CG effect? lol. ok.

Do you really think people look at a corps without a cymbal line and go "wow that was amazing! It'd be perfect if only they had a cymbal line."

Ya no.

I actually heard that about scouts this past season :sleeping:

Just as important as any other section. Any integral part of the Visual and Music sides of the show.

Couldn't be any more simply put, beautiful!

If there is ever a day that SCV gets rid of their plate line there will be a riot on hand.

SCV has made their plate line iconic....you look for them....they are very well-integrated into the show. I think other corps, top corps particularly since it is mostly top corps lacking plate lines, could do the same if they tried.

I think it depends on the situation, and the reasons why they are on the field. In some cases, I've run into situations where I've considered adding a cymbal line because I had the lucky problem of not having enough instruments to add personnel to the battery or pit. Teaching in public school, I don't really believe in excluding people who want to work hard and learn, so if they're willing to pull their weight, I'm willing to find something for them to do. So far, I haven't had the need to march cymbals, but I'm staring down the decision next fall with a gigantic 8th grade class, and only one senior graduating.

I do think that a cymbal line can add a lot of color to the ensemble. Its not all crashes and impact if you look closely. There are thousands of sounds you can get out of a pair of hand held cymbals, may of which you wouldn't be able to get out of a group of suspended cymbals, or a single pair of crash cymbals in the pit. There is also the added dimension of split parts which allows for many of those sounds to repeat faster than otherwise possible with the long decay of large cymbals.

The one thing I will say, is that I don't think it should be a dumping ground for trouble students, hoping that they will just stay out of the way. If there are kids that aren't learning, then I'm not doing my job. That said, if I do go with a cymbal line, there will be an experienced tech to teach it.

Cymbal lines are amazing if they are done well. They can add a lot to a show visually as well as musically. If the resources aren't in place to max it out, then there's no point, but when a group like Santa Clara does it, it's a sight to see.

i prefer them

I think it depends on the situation, and the reasons why they are on the field. In some cases, I've run into situations where I've considered adding a cymbal line because I had the lucky problem of not having enough instruments to add personnel to the battery or pit. Teaching in public school, I don't really believe in excluding people who want to work hard and learn, so if they're willing to pull their weight, I'm willing to find something for them to do. So far, I haven't had the need to march cymbals, but I'm staring down the decision next fall with a gigantic 8th grade class, and only one senior graduating.

I do think that a cymbal line can add a lot of color to the ensemble. Its not all crashes and impact if you look closely. There are thousands of sounds you can get out of a pair of hand held cymbals, may of which you wouldn't be able to get out of a group of suspended cymbals, or a single pair of crash cymbals in the pit. There is also the added dimension of split parts which allows for many of those sounds to repeat faster than otherwise possible with the long decay of large cymbals.

The one thing I will say, is that I don't think it should be a dumping ground for trouble students, hoping that they will just stay out of the way. If there are kids that aren't learning, then I'm not doing my job. That said, if I do go with a cymbal line, there will be an experienced tech to teach it.

Cymbal lines are amazing if they are done well. They can add a lot to a show visually as well as musically. If the resources aren't in place to max it out, then there's no point, but when a group like Santa Clara does it, it's a sight to see.

Agreed on all points!

preferred, almost to the point of necessary.

seriously though, if you're a hater, or just not enthused about the idea of plates in the modern battery, please Please PLEASE take a look at what some of the top level WGI lines do (no, not just MCM 2010). Or, if you prefer, watch SCV or Madison in the late 90s/early 00s and just watch the plates for a while. They really add so much.

I'm a hornline guy and when I listen to these shows I end keying into the plate lines more than the hornline, drill and music.