How does this community feel about fielding cymbals?

Really, that's your argument? Having a pit orchestra with no drill or CG effect? lol. ok.

Do you really think people look at a corps without a cymbal line and go "wow that was amazing! It'd be perfect if only they had a cymbal line."

Ya no.

Ya, no. OK.

But it is for sure that when they see an amazing plate line in an amazing show they say "Wow, that was amazing. And those CYMBALS! Never seen them look so cool and add so much."

Yea, they really do even if you don't.

Keep the plates, get more from the plates, and add more plates!

(And facepalm for another "we can do it in the pit" junkie.)

Pass.

I use them in my winter ensembles simply because it puts more dots on the floor. However in the fall and summer ensembles that really isn't a necessity, and they don't add anything musically that can't be copied in the pit by a competent arranger. Put those same bodies in the pit where they can split their time between cymbals and other effect percussion.

Sorry, but if you are using cymbals to "add more dots", then you are not using them to their full potential. Actually that statement is almost insulting to the people that have worked the art of cymbal playing into a phenomenal spectacle of sight and sound.

It's not about bodies either, many corps can't fill their ranks to 150. Splitting time between cymbals (at the DCI level) and pit is like splitting time between guard and horn line, between tuba and trumpet. It just doesn't work like that. Removing a marching cymbal line from the field CAN NOT be replace by a few well placed cymbal crashes in the pit. Period.

Message to all corps: Get a cymbal tech, buy some cymbals, and give 4-8 kids the chance to march DCI for the summer. Fill your ranks for once, collect dues and build your alumni pool. Thank you.

despite what some say, a cymbal in the pit can in no way replicate what a marching cymbal line can, musically or visually. one person, picking up a pair, playing a crash etc in no way can match some of the great split writing we have seen...thinking some great old Crossmen stuff under Thurston, or of course SCV or Coats when Delong was there and Regner ran the line. I mean just sick ####, yet so musical....I know at Westshore we had 5 people going in 96 in Carnival by the Rippingtons that made it sound like a marching hi-hat.

the real shame is, while cymbal lines get a ton of credit in WGI, in DCI, they get ignored or worse, told that they are a distraction and worthless.

it really saddens me that DCI would feel they have no value and try to get teams to get rid of them by ignoring them or making comments that they have no value...and said comments have been made.

and that Crossmen have become the latest casualty is heart breaking.

sadly, I see the day where SCV may have no choice but to do away with them, and if that's the case, I lose all respect for the DCI percussion community.,

Not only do I love a good plate line, I think they should be required...always!

YAY!

(link)

Well with all the talk in the last 24 hours from Crossmen alumni/members/fans worked.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

I marched cymbals so I am biased, but at the same time, I am a snob.

I want to see more cymbal lines if they are good.

How's that?

:sleeping: