Carolina Crown 2010

Another indication of why we need to bring entertaining the audience back into the equation more relevantly than has been done in recent years before they start going away.

As much as I hate quoting myself, Carolina Crown and the Bluecoats have CONSISTENTLY been achieving audience entertainment as well as competitive momentum in this area.

'09... maybe. But BD was too clean.

'10.... their drill was a huge problem. The were spread 20 to 20 pretty much the whole show, and that shows up in music and visual scores.. mainly musical.. because you can really hear dirt in the brass. Also the corps just wasn't as good as the '09 corps. If they had a better show, I think they cold have pulled it off. But I think they only could have gotten to second.

Both show were entertaining... '09 was the most entertaining of the year for me... '10 was in the top 3. (Phantom won me back this year)

As much as I hate quoting myself, Carolina Crown and the Bluecoats have CONSISTENTLY been achieving audience entertainment as well as competitive momentum in this area.

What?! Are you saying that this is actually possible? :smile:

One of the factors IMHO is the lost of Ashley the center snare drummer from the drumline early in the competitive season due to injury. If you look at the scores, Crown's perc was scoring in the top 2 or 3 across the aboard, since her lost, the line was ranking around 6-7th for the duration of the season. I wonder what the morale was like for the battery and if that affected the rest of the corps in anyway. Also, to add to it, another snare and tenor was cut/injured/or left shortly after Ashley stepped down.

One of the factors IMHO is the lost of Ashley the center snare drummer from the drumline early in the competitive season due to injury. If you look at the scores, Crown's perc was scoring in the top 2 or 3 across the aboard, since her lost, the line was ranking around 6-7th for the duration of the season. I wonder what the morale was like for the battery and if that affected the rest of the corps in anyway. Also, to add to it, another snare and tenor was cut/injured/or left shortly after Ashley stepped down.

That's a good point. Being the "center snare" involves unique responsibilities that no one else in the line has to worry about. Ie. being the tempo setter, watching the drum major. I can imagine it being difficult on the person who had to take over that responsibility in the middle of the year. My guess is the poor fellow was used to just "listening in" for many months. To have to make a sudden change like that in the middle of tour couldn't be easy. Also, having to adjust intervals while playing certainly doesn't help things either.

I think the placements this year were correct. I can see a slight argument over 7th/8th SCV/BS but every other place was spot on in my opinion.

I can't agree that they deserved to win. BD was just too darned blasted good. Another indication of why we need to bring entertaining the audience back into the equation more relevantly than has been done in recent years before they start going away.

I don't agree - I found the BD shows in both 2009 and 2010 to be much more entertaining than Crown's shows.

Don't speak for the whole audience.

If you want to go on pure entertainment I thought Crown should have been behind Cadets this year as well. I found crowns show to be pretty one note throughout last year.

You could probably make an argument for 2009 based on "entertainment value", but most folks (even those like myself who aren't huge fans of BD's recent shows) will agree that the Blue Devils have been unmatched in terms of performance.

As far as 2010 goes, no. They may be getting the most play on my iPod, but they were not the best corps on the field this summer.