Barbara Maroney says...

the good thing is i have nothing against any corps. I've liked em all at some point.

No, I just noticed that to me, her comments don't seem as relevant with today's productions.

All well and good, and (as I've said before) you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

But the thread isn't about today's productions or whether you care for them. The o.p.'s point is that Barbara's remark is timeless: it's about getting beyond that sort of thing and respecting that every corps (and by extension, corps from every era) has something valid to say. To try and steer it away from that in order to take a swipe at contemporary programming/show design qualifies - to my way of thinking, anyway - as a hijack attempt.

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

I would love to agree with Barbara Maroney....................but she marched with the Cadets, and the Cadets are icky.......

LOLOLOLOLOL JUST KIDDING!!!!!! Wise words from a wise woman indeed!!

All well and good, and (as I've said before) you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

But the thread isn't about today's productions or whether you care for them. The o.p.'s point is that Barbara's remark is timeless: it's about getting beyond that sort of thing and respecting that every corps (and by extension, corps from every era) has something valid to say. To try and steer it away from that in order to take a swipe at contemporary programming/show design qualifies - to my way of thinking, anyway - as a hijack attempt.

Fred O.

Don't waste your posts on Hrothy; you're entirely right but inevitably, he'll keep responding.

Thanks for sharing this video! I genuinely enjoyed watching it and I certainly echo the sentiments expressed. Everyone has something to enjoy if you're openminded enough to allow yourself to enjoy it. Not everything can be a favorite but there are things to appreciate in all corps performances!

... Everyone has something to enjoy if you're openminded enough to allow yourself to enjoy it. Not everything can be a favorite but there are things to appreciate in all corps performances!

Well said. I think that's that's exactly what Barbara was getting at.

regards,

Fred O.

Fred O.

How bout I just go ahead and have the last word so you two can be done already. :smile:

No, I just noticed that to me, her comments don't seem as relevant with today's productions.

We also might want to bear in mind that Ms. Mahoney's comments were made well before Al Gore took the initiatives neccessary for all of us to have the Internet that we enjoy today in which to discuss her oft repeated musings from way back in 1984 when she was 21 years old.

Edited by BRASSO

The comment does have a different perspective depending on the timeframe in which you wish to compare it. I wouldn't say there's a question of relevancy ... just a variation in the degree of relevancy.

Coats have hot tubas .. PR has a smokin drumline .. BD has the bomb guard ... Scouts went Oldschool ... Cavies still have great drill (even if it's slower than it appears) .. and the list goes on. The majority of other elements between corps are very similar due to homogenization of show design elements.

In truth, the same can be said for the early 80's. It was the back end of the tick system. Most corps had extremely comparable drill ... the big differences lie in the style of the corps. Music style, uniform style, marching style ... huge variations there. Today .. not so much.

Either way .. the statement is equally relevant. It's only irrelevant if you choose to be continuously peeved about rules and show design.

I'll admit, I have my moments ... but they don't last forever. Not yet anyway.

It's not what each corps performs or how they perform it that most people gripe about. It's the fact that there are certain people in certain corps that push for rule changes that move DCI away from its traditional values.

Could have predicted it. Right off the bat a response that in missing the point makes Maroney's plea all the more urgent.

HH