On the Drastic Change in Arranging Style

Lance,

Do you feel it';s become all about technical achievement vs emotional connection?

Have you even listened? Just compare the arrangements from today with those you revere and you will see that the old arrangements are not even close to the quality etc. of the newer arrangements.

Yes, we have listened. Indeed, everything that's been posted thus far lamenting how inferior the contemporary arrangements are comes of listening to them and comparing them to old arrangements.

I think there are alot of gems and alot of garbage on all of my CD's and DVD's. Suckiness knows no time period or era....nor does greatness.

Yes, we have listened. Indeed, everything that's been posted thus far lamenting how inferior the contemporary arrangements are comes of listening to them and comparing them to old arrangements.

What are you listening to? It must be something I haven't listened to, because I have listened to all of the DCI performances from 1972 till now and the music is better now than ever.

Just because it isn't like the music was when you marched doesn't mean it is inferior. To say it is "inferior" shows that you do not really understand music. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's inferior. If you don't like it say so, but don't call it inferior.

most of the time, yes

but i think it became that way starting in about 91 or so.

that's just me, though.

to a small degree i agree with you on the time frame and to a large degree I agree with you on technical merit vs emotional connection...so it isn't just you.

I think there are alot of gems and alot of garbage on all of my CD's and DVD's. Suckiness knows no time period or era....nor does greatness.

well said