Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

Just to be clear for those who didn't read the whole thread, the YT post that bummed Eric out was not a fan's video from the lot, or a bit of the show from a rehearsal, or even an iPhone-level video of a full-ensemble run-through with unis. It was a fairly high-quality (by YT standards) audio recording of the entire show apparently recorded at the same session where the corps was also recording the show.

To read the title on the YT upload, which I won't repeat here (do your own Googling) it sounded like a quasi-official release. I'd be pi--ed too in Eric's position, and I'm someone who believes Corps should be flooding the social media with "sneak-previews" of their shows during the pre-season. But that's not what this was. Crown sells CDs of the show recorded during the preseason. So, yes, I assume this is about money (not show attendance, but CD sales). But so what? Even as someone who trolls that site constantly for glimpses of the show, this particular upload felt wrong to me.

• Like 1

Just to be clear for those who didn't read the whole thread, the YT post that bummed Eric out was not a fan's video from the lot, or a bit of the show from a rehearsal, or even an iPhone-level video of a full-ensemble run-through with unis. It was a fairly high-quality (by YT standards) audio recording of the entire show apparently recorded at the same session where the corps was also recording the show.

...this particular upload felt wrong to me.

If some halfwit downloads that recording to his hard drive rather than buy Crown's performance at Nats on CD, then I think we can all agree on his a**hattery.

Forthcoming.

Just to add, I think Crown's store page needs a little reorganizing. I think there are way to many menus on the left side. Also, when you go to crown Store, I think the tee-shirts, CD's, DVD,s, etc... is what we should see on the store front page. basically, what we will see in the souvie truck, at a tour stop. Just my 2 cents.

Back on topic...this hornline is epic this season!!! Love the fusion of the show, especially "Bohemian Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" :worthy:

Just to add, I think Crown's store page needs a little reorganizing. I think there are way to many menus on the left side. Also, when you go to crown Store, I think the tee-shirts, CD's, DVD,s, etc... is what we should see on the store front page. basically, what we will see in the souvie truck, at a tour stop. Just my 2 cents.

Concur.

Just to add, I wish Crown had a preseason CD for me to buy. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. This show is awesome to listen to. I bought the BD preseason recording.

This brings up a good question: Why don't more corps have pre-season audio recordings of their field show for sale/access on their websites prior to the first performances? It would seem to me that many fans would pay to hear it and would be motivated to get an audio glimpse. Just another of BD's forward thinking efforts that the other corps need to pay attention to....and it's not just about money....it's about reading the market and turning it into revenue. BTW, the live feed last night of Brian Howard (aged out DM) showing BD in pre-stage mode was pretty cool. They had a few technical glitches but the effect was: "you can be part of the corps as they approach the gate"; interviews with some of the designers and caption heads and a few MM's. Just another effort to make us part of it. Other corps need to pay attention and give their fans some access and make revenue in the bargin.

• Like 1

I heard the show last night.

I love it, It is a fun show, and I enjoyed it. The crowd bought into the concept 100% and enjoyed it. "eruption" is still one the coolest parts. I really can't wait to see what else they do for the show later on in the season.

I love the show, and the group this year.

• Like 3

Actually, that was a legit question. The Spirit show was met fairly tepidly as I remember. And as mentioned in a few previous posts, it is certainly possible that the Crown show could go down the same path.

Having seen crown tonight, i believe my fears were well-founded. Incredibly cheesy, and for my tastes, not that enjoyable. I hope my impression changes with time

• Like 2