Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

I'm shocked by this. Back in 2004 when Crown was singing Rent songs in their ballad, people were FURIOUS, as they should have been. What happened to you DCP? When did you get soft?

That part of 2004 still is lame to me. The opener that year, though, is awesome. :smile:

However, Crown's show this year isn't trying to put on some sort of artsy "bohemian" vibe. It's corny and cheesy, but you know that going in . . .just the same way you did with VK or the Bridgemen.

Help me understand what makes Crown’s show cheesy?

Is it the pre-recorded voice in the intro?

Is it the trusses that are scaled?

Is it playing “Rock” tunes?

Is it because the members are “hamming” it up to get the crowd involved?

Is it the “fake ending/ encore” bit?

Is it the organized yell during the show?

Is it all the dance/ movement?

Is it because they repeat a tune they played from a few years ago?

From the best of my memory the above list has previously been done by other corps over the years. So are those corps "Cheesy" also?

Why can’t a show just be “Fun” and “Entertaining”? Do all the shows have to "Fit" inside of this little "Box"?

Edited by splat-a-drag-a-phonium
  • Like 6

People, obviously Crown is doing something right if they scored a 94.85 (the same score they had in QUARTERFINALS last year) before freakin Allentown.

Chalk it up to a weak lineup at the show, or a fluke, but whatever... the fact of the matter is that the panel that popped this score was a FINALS-CALIBER group of judges. And obviously some of the changes Crown has made this past week are paying off big time, enough where they had enough stones to put down 19's on the board.

Frankly, I am #### excited to see the Top 4 corps all pushing for it at the end of the season, no matter who wins. Any given night, depending on the panel, any of these 4 corps could win. Yes, even Crown. The fact that 4 top groups will be beating each other up on Finals night, means that somebody is going to throw off other groups in various captions. Look no further than the other night when Cavies took MUSIC GE over both Cadets and Blue Devils. Whaaa??? Yeah, I had to look again too just to be sure.

I've been to enough marching events both DCI and non-DCI to know that at the highest level, anything can and will happen. There have been National Champions in BOA that took home the Eagle without winning a single caption across the board (2001 immediately comes to mind). These are some of the same judges who you'll see at DCI Finals... and yes, they're judging a lot of the same criteria whether or not you're a band fan.. or just in denial.

Plus, if Crown wins enough music captions (brass and music ensemble especially) and then can be 1 or 2 in Music GE (possible), Percussion (already happened at MFB), then the other 3 could be all over the place in Visual and it could benefit Crown in a (albeit strange and wacky) way.

Bottom line, lhe season is long from over, and I just can't wait until Finals night. Be happy this is an exciting year!!!

• Like 1

Yes crown should fire their drum staff and entire visual staff, going into next season. Obviously they suck and don't know what they are doing. I mean they almost got a 95 before Allentown. That just isn't good enuf. It's broken and something must be fixed immediately. Crown should replace leon as soon a possible. Maybe Corbin will have a suggestion as he Is alumnus after all.

Sarcasm off--- in akl seriousness Heard from a friend that they performed new encore tonight and it is the most exciting part of the show now. apparently ridiculous difficulty. Can't wait to see it in person.

I don't mind responding to rubbish like this. First, if you have followed this activity long enough, you should know that Crown's score was inflated, as they were the only top five corp performing at the show. I guarantee you that Crown would not have scored as high if BD, Cadets, Cavies, and Crown were playing one right after the other. So, I'm not sure you should be celebrating an arbitrary score. In fact, when you look at the shows this year where Crown did play by themselves without Cavies, BD, and Cadets, they were competitive. So...what is your point? Crown's score ONLY matters when placed in context of the other corps at the same show. You should know this. So, I would show a little more humility with the sarcasm.

• Like 1

Help me understand what makes Crown’s show cheesy?

Is it the pre-recorded voice in the intro?

Is it the trusses that are scaled?

Is it playing “Rock” tunes?

Is it because the members are “hamming” it up to get the crowd involved?

Is it the “fake ending/ encore” bit?

Is it the organized yell during the show?

Is it all the dance/ movement?

Is it because they repeat a tune they played from a few years ago?

It's all of it . . .but it's still awesome. Drum corps is full of cheddar. :smile:

It MUST be the last week of the season as everyone has turned into a batch of Whiney McWhinerson Namecallinskis. Go DCI!

• Like 1

Drum corps shouldn't be fun, it's hardcore, intense and fiery. Visceral. Any time I see drum corps on the field dancing and hooping and hollering it makes me sick to my stomach (that includes my own corps, before anyone feels like calling me out. BAC 02 with the dancing and crying, that #### needs to be banned from the activity.)

• Like 1

Drum corps shouldn't be fun, it's hardcore, intense and fiery. Visceral. Any time I see drum corps on the field dancing and hooping and hollering it makes me sick to my stomach (that includes my own corps, before anyone feels like calling me out. BAC 02 with the dancing and crying, that #### needs to be banned from the activity.)

Wait, what? It's not supposed to be fun? Someone call any member that ever marched, and tell them they did it wrong if they had fun. :blink:

People have been complaining about lack of audience connection the last 10 years or so, and then someone gives the crowd a show to enjoy, and people still find a way to #####. Guess you can't please everybody.

• Like 5