Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

There's a reason why corps don't take it to "11" anymore. The only way to achieve that volume is to overblow the instrument, and well, there's no delicate way around it, but it sounds awful.

Sure you could get into the whole G and Bb debate now but the fact of that matter is that kind of playing died with bugles. Hornlines are taught how to balance and blend as how to play in tune with each to achieve volume rather than "blow as hard as you possibly can."

Just take a listen to any hornline that "took it up to 11" but this time turn the volume down and then tell me that the players were playing with a good sound lol

Hmmmm. That's a matter of opinion. Taking it up to 11 was an "effect" and not meant to necessarily sound "pretty". It didn't sound awful either. If you have the time and access watch the historical section in '92 where Star if Indiana is practicing; you'll hear Jim Prime Jr. tell the corps basically "do NOT overblow" ( I think he said something like "do not play something so loud that you can not play with an acceptable tone"). They were still turning it up to 11... Now, I don't know what happened in the 70s, but their hornlines were smaller than those in the 80s and 90s, so maybe they were overblowing. Actually that's been the talk since back in the day... By the mid 80s to 90s it was different.

Oh and Crown is pretty darned loud too.

• Like 2

Oh and Crown is pretty darned loud too.

Crown is so loud they don't need to take it to 11. Their loudness comes from their amazing intonation. There comes a point where your ears can barely tell the difference anyway. I'd so much rather hear good sound a very loud volume than bad sound at a super loud volume...

Bad sound at ANY volume, for that matter....

Edited by bmt2116
  • Like 1

Crown is so loud they don't need to take it to 11. Their loudness comes from their amazing intonation. There comes a point where your ears can barely tell the difference anyway. I'd so much rather hear good sound a very loud volume than bad sound at a super loud volume...

Bad sound at ANY volume, for that matter....

Uh, they're loud in the same way that loud, good corps were before them.

• Like 2

To a certain extent I agree. The bigger the contrast between the peaks and valleys, the more effective the musical performance tends to be.

I'm not saying we need ffff for 12 minutes straight, but when was the last time a drum corps TRULY took it "up to 11"? Early 90s? 80s?

This might be a twelve...

This might be a twelve...

Fair point.

This is one of the greatest videos ever.

Crown is so loud they don't need to take it to 11. Their loudness comes from their amazing intonation.

Absolutely true. It is no secret that being in tune will enhance the amplitude of an audio signal. Poor tuning creates wave destruction and distortion, lowering perceived volume.