Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

I think it's cool we're seeing Queen making a comeback to the field, I was just still hoping that if they were doing Queen, they would have finally picked up Innuendo. I dare anyone to go listen to this track, and tell me it couldn't be pulled off by a corps, it's almost written with marching band or drum corps in mind. :thumbup:

I don't like drum corps shows that can be described by 1 adjective.....

Most drum corps shows can be, and often are, described or encapsulated with one word . . .it's that whole "theme" thing we keep hearing about.

Moreover, most of the draw for me to the idiom *is* the fact that it's loud. :smile:

Marching is a very formalized form of dance.

If you "buy" that statement then the rest of it follows. Accepting that is where a lot of folks get "stuck".

I suppose I don't have any choice but to buy into it . . .everything skews visual now, so of course body movement is part of that. It still is a lot like watching paint dry occasionally, no matter who does it. Give me a Cadets 1993/1998/2009 drill instead, even if it is a little dirty.

I suppose I'm a dino a bit here, but, really, that sort of free-form expression is what your 40+ member guard is for, for the most part, IMO.

Hooray if you can work in some body movement occasionally, but there's very few times that people will gasp for the stuff in, for example, Nimrod (as hard as it is, and believe me, I get the multiple iterations of difficulty there, I'm speaking strictly on the surface level) versus some nutty whiplash drill moves.

Look at it another way: do you ever see threads on "favorite body movement"? :tongue:

Moreover, most of the draw for me to the idiom *is* the fact that it's loud. :smile:

To a certain extent I agree. The bigger the contrast between the peaks and valleys, the more effective the musical performance tends to be.

I'm not saying we need ffff for 12 minutes straight, but when was the last time a drum corps TRULY took it "up to 11"? Early 90s? 80s?

• Like 1

To a certain extent I agree. The bigger the contrast between the peaks and valleys, the more effective the musical performance tends to be.

I'm not saying we need ffff for 12 minutes straight, but when was the last time a drum corps TRULY took it "up to 11"? Early 90s? 80s?

I agree but I will give a nod to the Cadets hornline from 2007. I wasn't a big fan of the show design but Holy Crap were they loud at times!

• Like 2

There's a reason why corps don't take it to "11" anymore. The only way to achieve that volume is to overblow the instrument, and well, there's no delicate way around it, but it sounds awful.

Sure you could get into the whole G and Bb debate now but the fact of that matter is that kind of playing died with bugles. Hornlines are taught how to balance and blend as how to play in tune with each to achieve volume rather than "blow as hard as you possibly can."

Just take a listen to any hornline that "took it up to 11" but this time turn the volume down and then tell me that the players were playing with a good sound lol

• Like 1

I'd say Madison Scouts 1995.

There's a reason why corps don't take it to "11" anymore. The only way to achieve that volume is to overblow the instrument, and well, there's no delicate way around it, but it sounds awful.

Sure you could get into the whole G and Bb debate now but the fact of that matter is that kind of playing died with bugles. Hornlines are taught how to balance and blend as how to play in tune with each to achieve volume rather than "blow as hard as you possibly can."

Just take a listen to any hornline that "took it up to 11" but this time turn the volume down and then tell me that the players were playing with a good sound lol

Good sound quality is somewhat subjective.

I think, for example, that Maynard Ferguson plays with a good sound quality. Many would disagree. Few would disagree, though, that it is very exciting to listen to.

Good sound quality is somewhat subjective.

I think, for example, that Maynard Ferguson plays with a good sound quality. Many would disagree. Few would disagree, though, that it is very exciting to listen to.

The difference I'm talking about is quite a bit different than that. Take for instance a baritone sounding like an train airhorn. At least Maynard sounds like a trumpet when he plays.

I suppose I don't have any choice but to buy into it . . .everything skews visual now, so of course body movement is part of that. It still is a lot like watching paint dry occasionally, no matter who does it. Give me a Cadets 1993/1998/2009 drill instead, even if it is a little dirty.

I suppose I'm a dino a bit here, but, really, that sort of free-form expression is what your 40+ member guard is for, for the most part, IMO.

Hooray if you can work in some body movement occasionally, but there's very few times that people will gasp for the stuff in, for example, Nimrod (as hard as it is, and believe me, I get the multiple iterations of difficulty there, I'm speaking strictly on the surface level) versus some nutty whiplash drill moves.

Look at it another way: do you ever see threads on "favorite body movement"? :tongue:

Good idea :-)