Cesario steps up as DCI's Artistic Director

How do we get people with varied interests come to the seats? Do we constantly critique or promote, excite and advertise!

yes! and, we pick stuff people will want to see for shows.

we're diehards. we'll come. but, I agree with cesario and with what DCA said...it's got to be entertaining to the non diehards, and artistically, I think more often than not we've gotten a little full of our own ####.

In terms of entertainment of the big 3 finals for me last year, it looks like this:

WGI

DCA

DCI

in terms of expense it looked this way:

DCI

DCA

WGI

• Like 2

I love it....being honest gets you a negative rating. oh I can see how this rating system is going to be LOL

• Like 2

I love it....being honest gets you a negative rating. oh I can see how this rating system is going to be LOL

This rating system is bound to get misused by someone with nothing better to do than go through thread after thread and give out thousands of negative ratings just for fun or because they have a grudge. What were the people at DCP thinking when they implemented this system?

• Like 2

This rating system is bound to get misused by someone with nothing better to do than go through thread after thread and give out thousands of negative ratings just for fun or because they have a grudge. What were the people at DCP thinking when they implemented this system?

Aww, now give the mods some credit, Stu. The system limits each poster to 20 ratings per day, and only five of those can be negative. Further, the mods and admins can see who is rating and can monitor someone who is a heavy negative rater.

I think they've got a handle on it to protect those of us who only deserve positive ratings. laughing.gif

• Like 4

I want a -50 by finals week. It's become my new goal.

• Like 2

Thanks Jeff... You have just created a double paradox: I would have give you a -1 for agreeing with you (first paradox) or a +1 for disagreeing with you (the other paradox). Arghhh....

well give my reviews time :tongue:

• Like 2

yes! and, we pick stuff people will want to see for shows.

we're diehards. we'll come. but, I agree with cesario and with what DCA said...it's got to be entertaining to the non diehards, and artistically, I think more often than not we've gotten a little full of our own ####.

In terms of entertainment of the big 3 finals for me last year, it looks like this:

WGI

DCA

DCI

in terms of expense it looked this way:

DCI

DCA

WGI

I'm guessing you're saying WGI has more bang for the buck? Please restrain your potty mouth, oh my. I like drum corps. In 2010 we went to finals and it was great fun. Will there ever be a time in future where one could experience DCA DCI WGI within a week in close proximity? In 1977, AAG did from 13 minute to 40 minute shows. The 40 minute show had 30 minutes drum corps, 2 concert formations and a 10 minute winter guard show in summer ;-)

• Like 1

Reality check? When were corps free from this cookie cutter plague?

My drum corps experience goes back to the 70s. Back then, it was just one cookie cut obviously from the same cutter. Corps maybe favored different musical genres but still overlapped substantially (Maggione, anyone?). Sometimes when I listen to one of the "Echoes" CDs I have to strain to remember was that Devils, North Star, Madison, Bridgemen or even Garfield, Skyriders or Guardsmen playing that now obscure Latin jazz number. Visuals? Don't make me say it.

Maybe the 80s were a little more diverse. But that was only because some corps were catching up the to trend. The cookie cutter was still cutting. And still is.

Take any point in time, and you'll find many similarities between corps. You will also find much variety. It's one of those glass half-full/half-empty issues.