BLUECOATS

To this day one of my favourite DC shows from a musical standpoint is the 2005 Bluecoats. I love the music, the arrangements and their incorporation of amplification - back when other groups just didn't quite get how to work with it.

They did electronics the best in 2005 AND continued that tradition in 2010 (which is another show I love - particularly Asphalt Cocktail).

Love their 95 show top to bottom musically.

Also loved their opener for 2010 a lot.

Loved most of 2007 as well.

95 hit me harder than other years with a number of corps. Coats had the single best moment for me personally when they did the military graveyard with their helmets. Tha was extraodinarily touching to me. Granted that was a visual moment, but it has made the music stick with me for 15 years now. Its in high rotation on my ITunes still.

They have performed a ton of great music over the years but my favorite bit was the big brass hit "The Boxer" from a couple of years ago. I have it as a ring tone on my phone.

This winter-time topic is about the Bluecoats only ... if you want to start your own about another corps, go ahead.

What are you favorites songs the Bluecoats have ever played??

Here's a short list of mine ...

First -- a nod to "Autumn Leaves" from 87 and 88 (first two years in Finals) and 98. It's the corps song, of course, but still one of the best tunes they've ever played.

Others ...

-- 1991 - "Palookaville." Great song. One of years I marched, so biased of course. Also played a short-lived song after drum solo that was a different version of this but can't remember name. We used it as a retreat song later in the year -- debuting it after a show without tell the staff ahead of time. That was fun!!!

-- 1989 and 1995 -- "Sing Sing Sing." Either year, BOTH deserve to make this list.

-- 2006 -- "My Heart and I". One of two moments since I aged out that I showed up at a practice and got real chills hearing something that I just KNEW was amazing -- first time heard 1995 during an ensemble at Hershey Park, and in Perry, Ohio, at a winter camp when hornline was outside playing "My Heart and I." Wow. Great song -- original is from an Italian TV show, sung by Sting. Look it up. Great song arranged beautifully by Doug Thrower for the Bluecoats ... of course, we can say that about a lot of songs over the last 10-15-ish years.

What say you, Bluecoats fans?????

My favorite Bluecoats show is 1989.....they came out with a full corps, new uniforms...big and brassy. I also like 1993, C-jam blues in 1994 and the 1995 show. I don't really like the direction the corps has taken with its musical choices (Much to dissonant...good example Asphalt Cocktail) as of late....but I like 2007 and 2008 shows (although Rocky music is not the first thing I would think of when thinking of BC) an I have enjoyed their ballads the last couple of seasons.

Just for a hoot Bluecoats....why not play a all out throw down of "Big Band"...you know the style that put you on the map. It would be a fresh change for you....

Edited by Triple Forte

Just for a hoot Bluecoats....why not play a all out throw down of "Big Band"...you know the style that put you on the map. It would be a fresh change for you....

I have really liked their recent shows and accompanying competitive success, but I would bring extra babies to throw if they did this.

I have really liked their recent shows and accompanying competitive success, but I would bring extra babies to throw if they did this.

Bluecoats is just one example but.....why a corps with a really strong musical identity (And a successful one at that) would turn it's back to that identity I will never know. Ok....we want to experiment with something different...fine..I have no problem with that...two..maybe three seasons is an experiment....not years and years....

Again...BC are by no means alone...I can think of a corps down Georgia way..and one just outside of San Francisco.....that also had strong musical identities that worked very well for them.

I loved (LOVED) the opener for this past summer, the Boxer Chorus from 2008, all of 2005 and 2006, Some Day I'll Fly Away from 2004 (Fantastic Ballad). come to think of it, I love all of the recent Bluecoat ballads.

Edited by BlooContraGuy