Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

Well, I think corps should do whatever they want. I confident that if woodwinds and singing was a bad a idea that not every corps would use them. Every corps is using electronics because electronics are amazing and add so many different colors and breadth of sound that was just not possible before. People against electronics are traditionalist and fail to see the actual advantages of having technology around.

Wow.

"Everyone is doing it, so it must be good!" Um, no. And once again, those of us against electronics just aren't smart enough to "get it", we are old fogeys who don't know what we're talking about. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

I really loved the Cadets' show last year and the year before. This after a 5 year period where I hated their shows because of the vocals/electronics/talking, etc... I'm not sure how much they will be using a vocalist in their show this year, but I am very disappointed and I thought that George was starting to "get" the fans. I guess I was wrong.

• Like 1

yet the GE gun went off during the exit drill which wasn't aimed at the 50 area. so really, this kinda kills your argument

Uh, no, it doesn't. What EVER does the gun going off prove? and BTW, it wasn't the 'GE' gun. The first gun signified the end of execution judging, that's all. That's why it normally happened someplace during the corps exit number.

• Like 1

Hrothgar, there's plenty of truth in what you're saying. But, as one academic speaking to another, can I ask that you not be so snotty about it? You'd get a lot further if you weren't, and maybe the members of this forum would take you a little more seriously.

It's great to see you have such faith (and that's what you have) in science, but someday you are going to run into its very real and very hard limits (yes, they exist). It will be both painful and revelatory. Until then, try not to underestimate human agency. It's difficult, I know, but try.

As for the singing, I say bring it on. I find amplified singing to be the least offensive of the so-called innovations, or at least the one that's easiest to use tastefully. I'm not crazy about Angels in the Architecture, but if the Cadets find a talented singer and use her at the right moments then it is bound to cause a positive emotional reaction in 1,542 out of every 1,550 audience members who do not have a religious objection to amplified singing.

• Like 3

Hrothgar, there's plenty of truth in what you're saying. But, as one academic speaking to another, can I ask that you not be so snotty about it? You'd get a lot further if you weren't, and maybe the members of this forum would take you a little more seriously.

I'm honestly not used to writing any other way about such topics. I can try, though.

• Like 2

Did '04 Crown audition vocalists or did they pull members specifically from the corps? It seems like the Cadets have always gone out of their way to specifically audition individuals who might not traditionally be targeted by drum corps.

I dont know But Crown's did better as much as I disliked it

• Like 1

But, but, but what if 99% hate it and I love it?!

then they are uneducated haters

• Like 1

By 'aimed' I meant the direction the corps was moving and pointing at, not that it wasn't judged. Hardly 'revisionist' history. I too judged, taught and marched using those elements.

so your argument still leaks water, because exit was aimed away til the very end. large poritions of the show were played backfield because of the way the drill transitioned. Unless of course you mean judges were in the back stands too

• Like 1

Uh, no, it doesn't. What EVER does the gun going off prove? and BTW, it wasn't the 'GE' gun. The first gun signified the end of execution judging, that's all. That's why it normally happened someplace during the corps exit number.

ok, looking at the sheets back then, if execution wasn't judged, what was?

GE

:rolleyes:

and where were the GE judges?

in the pressbox, where the corps was playing away from as they headed towards the finish line.

My God, you'll argue anything even when video shows you to be wrong

line removed - GJ

5 minute mark out

Edited by Geoff
Removal of copyrighted link. Please see media policy
  • Like 1

Wow.

"Everyone is doing it, so it must be good!" Um, no. And once again, those of us against electronics just aren't smart enough to "get it", we are old fogeys who don't know what we're talking about. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

I really loved the Cadets' show last year and the year before. This after a 5 year period where I hated their shows because of the vocals/electronics/talking, etc... I'm not sure how much they will be using a vocalist in their show this year, but I am very disappointed and I thought that George was starting to "get" the fans. I guess I was wrong.

First of all, I would have to say that George isn't putting singing in the show because he wants to #### off the fans. I think George understands how people perceive the shows he designs (the good and the bad). He isn't stupid. Frankly, I think the only reason he has singing this year is because Angels in the Architecture is an Amazing piece for drum corps... and it's also a piece where the beginning vocal soloist is an important part of the piece and the design of the show.

Have you listened to Angel in the Architecture? Do you even realize how little time is spent on singing? And do you see how powerful an effect the singing has in creating the layout and mood for the rest of the piece? Do you not see/ hear that?

If you think LOGICALLY you don't have to get all upset at George just because he's deciding to use vocals in 2011. You should wait until you hear it before you decide whether or not you like it.

Don't ASSUME that you're going to hate it. You can be "against" singing in drum corps and electronics or whatever, but if its going to be in there don't ASSUME that you're going to hate it. Have an open mind.

Also you know 2009 and 2010 cadets used electronics right?