Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

No, there aren't a lot of people that think this way. There are select few that post 6000+ times to make it seem this way.

You just described the anti-voice, synth, amp crowd quite well.

The idea, and God forbid CHALLENGE, for drum corps is to convey music in it's intended media.

No, its not that at all. The idea and challenge is to create a highly entertaining show of marching/music for the members and fans. The 'intended media' is marching, music and guard on a football field.

perhaps SCV and Phantom need a string section for their classical works on the field? Then the pieces would be closer to the original and bring out all the emotions/feelings/etc that would otherwise be lost... just saying.

That would be great to see and hear. Why not?

thanks for clarifying.

you really didn't have to, though.

but it was nice of you.

Thanks Lance. Apparently I had to though to prove a point.

Though I am curious, what did they change the synth player's part to during the impact?

There was an accident involving the synth in which a couple of keys were broken, which led to the big case that you can see over it during the Finals video. It was hit with a rifle during a windstorm, and broke a few keys.

That's a ludicrous statement. I doubt anyone who's ever even listened to a drum corps recording would go near that claim.

I wasn't referring to Finals.

Huh? That show was probably my third favorite of the season. Wanna know where I was during the impact? Participating in a mid-show standing ovation (a rarity these days), with my arms outstretched. I can point myself out to you in the high cam video if you don't believe me.

Why not? There are many loud parts in drum corps shows that haven't been backed up by electronics, and there still are some. Just less of them, apparently.

Then when were you referring to?

Good. You were enjoying it. I was there too, but I still promise you that wasn't a synth patch underneath there.

There was an accident involving the synth in which a couple of keys were broken, which led to the big case that you can see over it during the Finals video. It was hit with a rifle during a windstorm, and broke a few keys.

No I mean, if they took out his chord during the impact, what part was he playing instead?

• Like 1

I'd say it depends on the patch used. Some synth patches can actually blend extremely well with the sound of the brass ensemble.

Any you particularly have in mind from this past year?

Any particular examples?

:spitting:

Pretty much any time both the pit and the hornline are playing when the hornline is at mezzo-forte or below.

I guess not, then.

Edited by Michael Boo