Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

Let me just tell you. If we go back to the approach that people had when drum corps used G bugles then it would be A BIG mistake. You can't go back on that. You can't. Current students in drum corps wouldn't go for it. I know that if drum corps didn't implement the techniques that they do now that I wouldn't have done it. Students aren't stupid and think about technique now as an important part of their drum corps market research. They want good teachers as much as they want to play with good technique and master good technique. That's the way it is NOW.

I have to ask this charlie1223, are you a brass player by any chance?

Let me just tell you. If we go back to the approach that people had when drum corps used G bugles then it would be A BIG mistake. You can't go back on that. You can't. Current students in drum corps wouldn't go for it. I know that if drum corps didn't implement the techniques that they do now that I wouldn't have done it. Students aren't stupid and think about technique now as an important part of their drum corps market research. They want good teachers as much as they want to play with good technique and master good technique. That's the way it is NOW.

So Drum Corps didn't worry about technique back in the G days (a whole 10 or so years ago)?

Yeah, I just remember hearing sooooo many people say they didn't care if they played like crap or not. :thumbdown:

• Like 1

You used to be 100% correct..then came Bb & F brass, amps, electric guitars, mic'd soloists and now voice. I am simply awaiting the baby grand to hit the field but I suppose that would be silly since we can simply run a synth patch for that! LOL

What defines you is what you do. I think I heard that here from someone....

Hey, psst... it's still drum corps. They don't use woodwinds. Period, plain and simple. That's the difference. It's called the Cavaliers Drum and bugle corps, it's called the CAdets Drum and Bugle Corps, it's called the Phantom Regiment drum and bugle corps.

Hey, psst... it's still drum corps. They don't use woodwinds. Period, plain and simple. That's the difference. It's called the Cavaliers Drum and bugle corps, it's called the CAdets Drum and Bugle Corps, it's called the Phantom Regiment drum and bugle corps.

You do understand all brass marching bands have been around a LONG time right?

• Like 1

And if they add woodwinds they can still call themselves Drum&Bugle corps because they will still use percussion and horns. It will just be an add on along with the amps, woodwinds, strings, synthn, vocal, etc, etc.

I have to ask this charlie1223, are you a brass player by any chance?

No I'm not. I agree that my comment was a little extreme. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Obviously good technique was used at all times in drum and bugle corps. I can't help but see that I feel now that technique has become and even more important part of the drum corps program.

No I'm not. I agree that my comment was a little extreme. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Obviously good technique was used at all times in drum and bugle corps. I can't help but see that I feel now that technique has become and even more important part of the drum corps program.

Have you seen this in all sections (CG, drums, horns) or more in one or two areas?

Asking cuz I don't know.

When I first became acquainted with DCI about 10 years ago people were saying the same thing. This "inevitable" demise of DCI just keeps getting push back and pushed back.

Actually, DCI died in 1985. I know that's the case because when I joined drum corps in 1975, people were saying DCI had ten years left, tops.

Everything since 1985 has apparently been an apparition in our collective minds. :shutup:

• Like 1

And how "Bluecoats" is one word! Thanks, as always, for your diligent efforts in this matter, Mr. Boo.

You're welcome. I expect that the last dying words to be uttered from my mouth will be, "Remind everyone that 'Bluecoats' is one word."

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1